News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Free online sci-fi artwork.

Started by Dredj, December 10, 2007, 05:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dredj

Does anyone know where to find good, free sci-fi art on the internet? Especially the retro stuff, such as good scans of book covers from way back when, such as the 50's through the very early 80's? Good artwork can really set the tone of a game. But most free modern sci-fi art is Star Wars or Star Trek, or whatever happens to be popular on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Hey, Dredj, every so often, the Forge forgets to tell me about new posts. Sorry.

I'm trying to find this website that I don't seem to have bookmarked that's hundreds and hundreds of covers from Amazing and the like.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Sorry about the delay in answering! You might be interested in this!

Selene Tan

RPG Theory Wiki
UeberDice - Dice rolls and distribution statistics with pretty graphs

Joshua A.C. Newman

Whoa! A face from my deep past! Hi, Selene!

Those pictures are some high quality excellence.

Dredj, what kind of content are you looking for? Paleofuture is a daily visit of mine, as is Modern Mechanix. Is it that kind of thing?

Or perhaps something like the TTA?

Dredj

Sorry it took me so long to answer. I was very busy for a few weeks. I will look through the sites you mentioned.

I'm looking for something that resembles the TTA books from the 70's and 80's, as well as stuff that looks like it could be in a Weird Science magazine.

Dredj

I looked through the sites and found them all cool. The http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/11/retro-future-to-stars.html site is exactly what I was looking for. I also enjoyed the site about corporations' visions of how we all would be living in the future. I just don't see any modern equivalents to that: nobody wants to speculate about the bright, shiny future we could possibly be living in, eventually, and following it up with cool artwork, anymore. Of course, any bright future most probably will have its dark side ;-)

Thank you for the site recommendations.

Joshua A.C. Newman

The "corporate future video" is an interesting artifact of the 20th century, I think. We've lost our misplaced faith in those bodies' abilities to do right for us, from our government to Ford.

I've got a review of one such thing coming up on my blog. I'd love to continue the conversation over there!

Dredj

That would be cool. Where's your blog?

Joshua A.C. Newman