News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Viking Agon

Started by Ignus, December 11, 2007, 06:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignus

Hi there.

Been playing Agon with my group for a short time now and loving it. However, it came to our attention that Agon is just as easily a Viking game. Might have been something to do with it being explicitly stated in the back of the book, or it may have been our eagle-eyed gamer-intuition, who knows? Either way, we where down a couple of players one night and decided it unfair to carry on our campaign without them, so we all decide that:

1: We want to play Agon still

and,

B: Vikings are cool

and,

3. Odin could kick Zeus' godly bottom any day of the week.

So we played Viking Agon. It worked out excellently, I ran the first game on 30 minutes prep (thank you Mr. Harper, you are a saint to GM-kind), with a little chat about how Vikings are different.

So, a few days on I decided to write it down all formal and such for other people to look at, if they will. Maybe help me refine it? To be honest, there wasn't much to do.

It's a bit too long to clog up a forum with, so get my word files here ---> http://40kult.0catch.com/images/Viking-Agon.zip

I know the stuff on Gods is a bit long, but I'm not trying to sell it or anything, it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy to talk about gods :)

Feedback, thoughts? Did I miss anything? Is it a load of rubbish? I can take it, I'm a Viking now.
Cattle die, kinsmen die, all men are mortal.
Words of praise will never perish, nor a noble name.
My Shiny Homepage

Mel White

I like it a lot.  I have a handful of 'Vikingish' miniatures but no Greeks.  I wanted to use the Viking minis to play Agon at Dexcon, but damn near had a mutiny with the players!  So instead we used little plastic Greeks. 
The weapon and armor changes you've suggested add just enough difference to change the feel of the setting.  And the Berserker option--neat!
Mel 
Virtual Play: A podcast of roleplaying games
http://virtualplay.podbus.com

John Harper

Very cool. I like Fang as a name for it. It's got that certain something.

I like your ideas for axes and wrestling. I might even let people use their Might as a weapon when wrestling, but it only works at range zero. If you get out-positioned, you're in trouble.

Man... now I want to play Vikings, too! Thanks for sharing this, Ignus.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Ignus

Quote from: John Harper on December 11, 2007, 03:16:33 PM
Very cool. I like Fang as a name for it. It's got that certain something.

I like your ideas for axes and wrestling. I might even let people use their Might as a weapon when wrestling, but it only works at range zero. If you get out-positioned, you're in trouble.

Done and done. I agree on both points there, just wasn't sure about being too nice to wrestling, but this is mythology and Thor (size of the incredible hulk) did choke to death Jormungundr (length of the equator, width of England). So I guess there is room to let a few things slide.

Heres the slightly amended files, plus the all new shiny list of Viking 'nicknames' (i.e. heroic traits)
http://40kult.0catch.com/agon.html

I made the list bigger using the un-official rules on the wiki. the Vikings loved nicknames, and the list I made is a list of genuine nicknames I found. Interested in peoples thoughts on this.
Cattle die, kinsmen die, all men are mortal.
Words of praise will never perish, nor a noble name.
My Shiny Homepage