News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

On RPG's and Pricing

Started by Valamir, June 19, 2002, 10:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSDiamond

QuoteHeh...well maybe if ABC Construction company starts building nice houses in that neighborhood, developers will come it bulldoze all the dilapadated ones and build a nice upscale neighborhood...;-)

Ralph, I believe this may already be happening.  I pointed out the following fact in a thread some time ago: Origins ads have bulleted highlights of why people should attend this year.  The very first *reason* is "hundreds of games by independent publishers" -or something like that.

Think about it, for the first time in game industry history, the mention of indie games by a major organization was not only in the ad, not mentioned as being located near the hotdog vendors and the restrooms, but at the top of the list of reasons to go.

Back to the thread at hand: Treat your players/fans the way you wish you were treated by the companies and games you love.  

Jeff
JSDiamond

Mike Holmes

I saw a copy of Nobilis yesterday at my FLGS. Sweet sweating Jesus! It's big and clean looking (kinda like a coffee table book, about 12" by 12" square). So nifty that I had to touch it. Oh, and the feel of it, it's got that cover stuff that's soft as silk. So nice I had to flip it open. Wow, what layout on sturdy, glossy stock. What production values!

Still, beguiled by it's production as I was, I wouldn't pay anything for a coffeetable book of exactly the same quality (oh, maybe five bucks so I could just rub up against it sometime). Why? Because such a book wouldn't have any interesting content to me, likely. I'm thinking about paying the $40 or $50 for it (or what ever it costs), however, because I've read a lot about it, and I hear it's pretty good. If I weren't hoarding money to produce my own games I'd have a copy by now, in fact.

In any case, talk about sprucing up the neighborhood on both ends of good production and good design. Yes, and right next to it was "The End" in the aforementioned leatherette. And D20 supplements with very nice production values. And we all know what Sorcerer and Little fears have done. Seems to me that the indie scene is doing just what the doctor ordered.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Misguided Games

Quote from: pigamesNo offense to anyone here, but, I am not interested in paying $40 for a game.

Then don't.  It's really that simple.  You're a consumer and you have the power to make that choice.  If enough other people feel the same way, then things will eventually change.  No offense taken.