Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 47 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Dogs in the Vineyard] Girls can be cruel  (Read 1226 times)
GreatWolf

designer of Dirty Secrets

« on: January 02, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »

i]Primetime Adventures<Dogs in the Vineyard.  Yeah, that was a good couple of days.

Those of you who read my previous Dogs in the Vineyard report know that Gabrielle got her character killed.  So, she would need a new one to be able to play.  Also, Raquel wanted to give Dogs in the Vineyard<Dogs in the Vineyard<Dogs in the Vineyard has.  Thank you, Vincent!

I laid out the vision for Dogs in the Vineyard<What Happened in Woodpecker Farm<Rules question

Got a rules question.  During the conflict between the Dogs and Bathsheba, I escalated to gunfighting when Bathsheba pulled the gun and pointed it at Charity.  Is that actually correct?  Or should I have waited to escalate until she actually started firing?

Post game thoughts<Final wordsDogs in the Vineyard.  Yeah, that was a good couple of days.

Those of you who read my previous Dogs in the Vineyard report know that Gabrielle got her character killed.  So, she would need a new one to be able to play.  Also, Raquel wanted to give Dogs in the Vineyard<Dogs in the Vineyard<Dogs in the Vineyard has.  Thank you, Vincent!

I laid out the vision for Dogs in the Vineyard<What Happened in Woodpecker Farm<Rules question

Got a rules question.  During the conflict between the Dogs and Bathsheba, I escalated to gunfighting when Bathsheba pulled the gun and pointed it at Charity.  Is that actually correct?  Or should I have waited to escalate until she actually started firing?

Post game thoughts<Final words

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown
Valamir

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 02:23:41 PM »

What were the stakes for the PC v. PC conflict?
What fallout was taken?

GreatWolf

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »

What were the stakes for the PC v. PC conflict?
What fallout was taken?

The stakes were that Charity would back off her comment, which she did.

For Fallout, let me see....

Fortitude ended up with Short Term and Experience Fallout.  She took the "spend some time alone" for Short Term Fallout (my suggestion, and it made sense to her), and she increased her relationship with Charity to 2d6 for her Experience Fallout.

Charity ended up with Long Term and Experience Fallout.  For her Long Term Fallout, she took the Trait "I know the way the world works 1d4", which shows that, while Charity backed off her statement, she still has a lot to learn about the world outside her immediate experience.  For Experience Fallout, she took a 1d6 Relationship with "her partner Fortitude".

In other words, this was a defining moment in their relationship.  Whether or not that will be a good thing or not remains to be seen.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
Gabrielle

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »

I too am eagerly waiting to see Content have to deal with Charity. If Content can refrain from punching Charity in the face on a regular basis she could be the one who makes Charity grow up.

When we played DitV before is was fun, but that was because it was a distant sort of enjoyment. It didn't touch me. It didn't even come close. But this time through I am playing characters based on people I know in messy problems based on problems I see. Actually, my characters so far have both been partly based on myself. Not necessarily how I am now, but certainly how I used to be. I knew everything there was to know about how the world works and what makes people tick. I knew what was right and I would politely, kindly bludgeon you over the head with it if you gave me half a chance. I watched Daniel make his decisions based on faulty assumptions and he got killed for it. And now Charity is blundering around these messy problems that are far too big for her and I'm really nervous she's going to break something big.

Also, this time through it finally sunk in that the Dogs are all about twenty. I just turned twenty-two last week. I have way more life experience than the average Dog does and sometimes I have trouble mediating between Seth's children. I can't imagine trying to deal with bigger issues with a gun and all the authority of the King of Life behind me. Seth said in his post that it gave me the willies. I think more accurately it startled me and shook me to my core. Which is no bad thing really.
GreatWolf

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:09:42 AM »

b]Judgment in Woodpecker Farm<Rules questions<Post-game reflection<Dogs in the Vineyard<Dogs in the Vineyard<Dogs in the Vineyard<Hmm<In conclusionRules questions<Post-game reflection<Dogs in the Vineyard<Dogs in the Vineyard<Dogs in the Vineyard<Hmm<In conclusion

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
lumpley
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:09:08 AM »

Rules questions!

Vicious applies fully to just talking. The medical care you require might be psychological; dying might mean just abandoning your coat and wandering off into the mountains. (I think Ben Lehman plays with two medical care arenas: physical = patient's body + caregiver's acuity; psychological = patient's will + caregiver's heart. I like that.)

"What's at stake is, do you get to help both of them?" Then as GM you have the choice whether to roll through the conflict, to force the choice, or to give upfront if that's what you prefer.

-Vincent
Raquel

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 08:17:01 AM »

Let me just say for the record that a conflict involving Charity's heart plus Fortitude's will would be totally awesome!
GreatWolf

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:16:04 AM »

Rules questions!

Vicious applies fully to just talking. The medical care you require might be psychological; dying might mean just abandoning your coat and wandering off into the mountains. (I think Ben Lehman plays with two medical care arenas: physical = patient's body + caregiver's acuity; psychological = patient's will + caregiver's heart. I like that.)

Yikes!  Sorcerers really are that nasty, then.

And I like the idea of physical damage vs. psychological damage.  I could totally see how Fortitude could have been dealt serious psychological trauma from that confrontation.  I'll have to steal that idea for the future.

"What's at stake is, do you get to help both of them?" Then as GM you have the choice whether to roll through the conflict, to force the choice, or to give upfront if that's what you prefer.

Okay.  Follow-up question.  Let's say that the player can help both of them.  Is each medical conflict handled separately?  Or are they rolled together somehow?

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
GreatWolf

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »

Let me just say for the record that a conflict involving Charity's heart plus Fortitude's will would be totally awesome!

Heh.  You're just saying that because you'd roll over the opposition without a bump.

It would be the ultimate power-up, though.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
lumpley
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »

...Oh now THAT's interesting.

First, yeah, you'd handle each medical conflict separately. That'd be fine. That's what I was thinking.

But check this out. You could also skip the "can you help both" conflict and instead do the two medical conflicts together, as a 3-way. You'd maintain two pools of dice for the two patients, making separate raises and sees for each.

I'm not sure what you'd do for the healer's dice. Acuity + both Bodies? That might be too high, might be perfect. Acuity + the higher Body? That seems eh. Acuity + the average of the two Bodies? That'd make sense but involve averaging, which, well, is probably fine.

Anyway that'd make every raise a little instance of "which do you REALLY help?"

-Vincent
GreatWolf

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »

Hey, Vincent.  That's what we were going to do, although the healer seemed really outmatched, especially with the 5d10 Demonic Influence that was getting rolled in at that point.  At that point, it was Charity's Acuity plus Fortitude's Body.  Adding Jael's Body makes sense to me.

At the time, it was getting a little complicated, so we decided to simplify.  However, if we end up there again, that's probably how I'll do it.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: