News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Riddle or Lure of Gold

Started by Lyrax, August 11, 2002, 01:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyrax

I want everybody's opinions on the supplement I'm writing, title-wise.  Should it be entitled "The Riddle of Gold" or "The Lure of Gold"?  Riddle can be used more facetiously, but I think Lure sounds cooler.

The whole thing is almost 15 pages long, and is nearing completion (I think...), so it isn't going to be like The Sorcery and the Fey or anything.  Most likely, it will be in PDF format for free or for a very small fee.  Thus we see the difference between "Troll Fee" and "Toll-Free."
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Lance D. Allen

I like Lure of Gold better. The Riddle of This and That was nice as a joke, but if supplementary products started coming out as "The Riddle of..." it might seem a little silly.

"The Riddle of Beasts and Men"
"The Riddle of Sorcery and the Fey"
The Riddle of Battle"
"The Riddle of Gladiators" (which perhaps I should give a silly title, as I've only got one response on it thus far...)
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Mokkurkalfe

I agree with Wolfen. "The Lure of Gold" sound better.
Lure, definitely.
Regarding the price, I would prefer it free(duh!).

Note: It's not the price that bugs me, but rather the inconvenience of messin' with credit cards and stuff.

EDIT: Don't give up on the gladiator thing Wolfen!! It would be be awesome for introducing new players to the combat system(just give them a gladiator and go, it's expandable anyway), and for getting better at the combat system, and for playing gladiators, and...Lots of stuff
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Anthony I

Considering the things gold/greed has led people to do I'd say "Lure" captures it better.
Anthony I

Las Vegas RPG Club Memeber
found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lv_rpg_club/

Ace

Quote from: LyraxI want everybody's opinions on the supplement I'm writing, title-wise.  Should it be entitled "The Riddle of Gold" or "The Lure of Gold"?  Riddle can be used more facetiously, but I think Lure sounds cooler.

The whole thing is almost 15 pages long, and is nearing completion (I think...), so it isn't going to be like The Sorcery and the Fey or anything.  Most likely, it will be in PDF format for free or for a very small fee.  Thus we see the difference between "Troll Fee" and "Toll-Free."

The lure of gold is better IMO.

Price wise I am not sure how much 15 pages would be worth as a PDF download and setting up a credit card for a $2 purchase is a royal pain.

Be that as it may I would like to see more efforts like you are doing

TROS would benefit from a mini supplement program like the one used for Sorcerer.

It would allow people to cover areas that would not be cost effective in book form and maybe make a few bucks on the side

BTW the lure of gold would be mini supplement #1

It could be designated somethinglike RMS #1

if/when gladiaitors was done it could be RMS #2 and so on.

ShaneNINE

Lure gets my vote. Sounds better.
::: Shane

Ben Morgan

It seems unanimous so far, but I'll add my opinion, anyway. I like The Lure of Gold.

I suppose the question has to be asked (you can blame Ron for this): what is this supplement going to be about? What exactly is it going to add to the game?
-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light

Mike Holmes

I agree. As far as continutity of titles, you could require them all stick to the two formats alrady available. That is tiles shuld either be:

The Noun of Noun

or

Of Noun and Noun

The first refering to more rules based stuff, and the second being more setting based stuff. Thus The Lure of Gold would be about mechanics for (let's face it) thieves. While Of Sorcery and the Fey would be about the how these elements exist in the setting, and how they are employed.

Both would have rules and setting stuff, but the titles methods just seem to lend themselves to more rules and more setting respectively. Thus you could have a supplement "Of Odeon and the North" with all sorts of stuff about Hef, etc. And Of Heroes and Gods for a myth/religion book. While, The Goods of Traders would be about merchant characters and their operations including rules for how to haggle and speculate, etc. And the Lands of Lords would be about nobility, and rules for operating a fiefdom or something.

Make sense?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Mokkurkalfe

Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Lyrax

Oookay, looks like that's enough votes on that subject.  It's going to be The Lure of Gold.

Now, is there anything in specific you'd like to see in it?  It's already got sample character concepts, a few skills, gifts and flaws, poisons stuff, a little bit about punishments, a variety of pre-made characters and over two pages of adventure hooks (somewhat generic, as I'll be the first to admit, but they are good).
Lance Meibos

Jake Norwood

I want to see stuff on:

why play a thief
how is a TROS thief different from, say, DND
what happens when I get busted
and, uh, stuff.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Lyrax

Okay, I'll do more on the why and the differences.  I've got plenty of, ah, stuff.
Lance Meibos

contracycle

Quote from: Mike HolmesAnd the Lands of Lords would be about nobility, and rules for operating a fiefdom or something.

Or you could use synonyms for "riddle" - mystery, engima etc.

So, when we gonna get "The Mystery of Love", huh?
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

contracycle

Of all RPG products that I've ever read, Maelstrom (not the Story Engine one, damn them for overlapping names) had the single best treatment of thieves.  It covered a good sample of the many ways to make yourself an illegal living, including voluntary mutilation, faking ailments and living off alms, as well as your more routine theft and robbery, and all accompanied by appropriately colourful historical terms for begging.

What I would hope for from such a product from ROS would be more based on how thief-characters ointegrate with the rest of society - how the underground in a region operates, methods of extracting wealth from the citizenry, ways to make yourself useful to the ruling class, and specifics on scams, confidence trickery and chicanery.

This is also a good opportunity to discuss forms of wealth - coinage, promisory notes, land titles, anything thats portable and valuable, especially when value is related to significance rather than intrinsic properties.  These asre usually harder to "move" and require more work than simply riffling wallets.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Jake Norwood

I just remembered that the Adventure seed, "the Library of Barameir" in the TROS core rules talks about a Thaddeus Hatch in Cyrinthmeir. This guy is like a mafia don in the place, and it might be worth messing with who he is. He has one eye.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant