News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSoY] Doubts about using keys

Started by Adral, January 12, 2008, 07:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adral

Hello everyone,

I am thinking on running a TSoY campaign soon enough, but I really cannot understand properly a certain section of the rules regarding the Keys.

The section in question is the following:
QuoteEverything else. When the Key comes up in play, gain an experience point. (You can use this three times per session. This applies to all Keys below.) When the Key presents a minor problem, gain two experience points. When it presents a major problem, gain five experience points.

I do not know if this does mean that you can only use the "get-1-XP" ability three times por session, or if you can only use a certain Key three times in session in total, whether you won 1 or more XP on each use, and if this only applies to the Keys of "Everything Else" or, to the contrary "all Keys below", including the Keys of Motivation.

I normally use the Spanish version of the rules, but it is not clear there either.

I would appreciate your help very much. Thank you in advance.

Clinton R. Nixon

Adral,

The simplest answer is: use whichever of those you wish, or ignore it altogether.

What it actually means is: all Keys where you get one experience point for being in a situation, regardless of your action, can only give you that experience point three times per session. I must have wrote that in a moment where I worried that some player would abuse it by having her character be in every scene with her ward, for example. It was a stupid thing to worry about and has never, ever come up in play. Feel free to ignore it, seriously.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Adral

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on January 12, 2008, 08:20:47 AM
Adral,

The simplest answer is: use whichever of those you wish, or ignore it altogether.

What it actually means is: all Keys where you get one experience point for being in a situation, regardless of your action, can only give you that experience point three times per session. I must have wrote that in a moment where I worried that some player would abuse it by having her character be in every scene with her ward, for example. It was a stupid thing to worry about and has never, ever come up in play. Feel free to ignore it, seriously.

Thank you for your answer. I now understand what you did mean with that. Congratulations on creating both an excellent game and an excellent world, although I must admit I usually like taking systems and adapting them to my own campaigns, so maybe I will explore other worlds prior to entering Near. Maybe after. Damn it, I need more free time! ;)