News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Forge Midwest 2008] Offical Organization Thread

Started by Matt Snyder, January 18, 2008, 03:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hey folks,

If someone could do the wiki planner this year I'd appreciate it. I think I'm going to have enough on my plate making the restaurant page, and a getting around page.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

Nev the Deranged

Ok, James, Juli and I will be sharing a room. It's a hundo a night plus tax. We could really use a fourth to bring that down to fifty buck a head. Or, heck, even a fifth wouldn't suck. Any takers?

Non-snorers preferable.

Also, what's a good time to arrive on Friday? Will anything be going on earlier in the day?

thanks.

woodelf

Quote from: Clyde L. Rhoer on February 28, 2008, 02:53:33 PM
Hey folks,

If someone could do the wiki planner this year I'd appreciate it. I think I'm going to have enough on my plate making the restaurant page, and a getting around page.

I'm not so much the computer guy (that is, if you want it all Google-mapped or something, i might need help), but i already have access to a list of pretty much every bar and restaurant in the greater Madison area. And i can certainly help with the getting-around info, if somebody tell me where to contribute. I'm the night dispatcher for one of the local cab companies, so just tell me what info you need, and it's probably already in my head--i just would need to write it down.

Oh, and i'll definitely be there, but i won't be getting a room, 'cause that would be silly.
--
woodelf
not necessarily speaking on behalf of
The Impossible Dream

williamhessian

can anyone give me a little run down of how a forge midwest convention might go down?

i have never attended a convention and was wondering when things started each day, when certain events happen. If it is kosher to show up for saturday and sunday, or it is much preferred to be there all three days?

i would love to bring my prototype card game to play with anyone that was interested. is this something that I can do on the fly, or would i need permission to play my game (i am not selling anything- just playtesting) I would be playing on a very limited one to one basis and asking for advice, maybe having a contact sheet for people that would want free cards once i began printing of the game.

i am a fan of indie-rpgs although i have not played many, will this hinder my experience?

thanks to anyone providing as much detail as possible, so i can be sure i know what im getting myself (and my girlfriend) into.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

It is 100 times less formal than a typical role-playing convention. It is really not much more than a bunch of tables in a common location. Socially, the hope is that people will make an effort to mingle rather than clumping up into cliques.

Attendance is entirely up to you, in terms of when you arrive, how long you stay, and what you do. There is absolutely no expectation about that. People often invite others they've just met to lunch or dinner. I'll probably go out to a club or otherwise catching some live music in the evening, and anyone who'd like to join me is welcome.

There is a schedule on which people can post games they intend to run at given times. However, the majority of games are pick-up, when some people simply sit down and play without any scheduling or organization. Tables are not assigned and nothing is numbered. This year, we're instituting a specific time and place for sales, but generally, the atmosphere of the gathering is not mercantile.

For playtesting your game, I suggest bringing it and being quite up-front about wanting to playtest it. Let anyone who's interested do some further recruiting, and you'll have a few interested people quite fast. Even if the game is one-on-one, it's nice to have a couple more people around.

Past experience suggests that the only requirements for a good time are enthusiasm and a little bit of adventurist spirit, as opposed to familiarity with any of the games.

Best, Ron

Matt Snyder

Ron is correct on all counts.

Folks, Forge Midwest is a casual gathering of people who want to play games together. That's it. If you're reading this thread, you're invited. AND you're enabled to invite your pals who want to play games.

There's no requirement to even be a Forge member! Just show up, and play. You don't have to know anything about indie RPGs. You don't even have to play them! Many of us simply prefer to. Heck, the most popular game played both previous years was Jungle Speed! And, I had a great time losing in a Memior '44 board game last year.

So, William, I answer all your concerns with "Yep, that's all totally fine. No problem at all. See you there."
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

williamhessian

i love playing games.

thanks to you both. thats exactly what i wanted to hear.

i look forward to coming, meeting cool people, playtesting my game and playing some other games.

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hi Woodelf,

Thanks for the offer. I'm not going to be trying to make a complete restaurant page, but more a local vetted, chain-light, restaurant page. Think Maharajah, New Orleans Take Out, Dave's Jamaican, etc. plus a link to a google search that lists the fourty to fifty restaurants in the immediate area of the hotel plus a link to thedailypage the Isthmuses website which does an excellent job of comprehensive restaurant listings and reviews. Hopefully done soon.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

jenskot

Thor and I will be at the hotel from Friday at 6:30pm to Sunday around 3pm.

We are flying from NY LGA to Milwaukee nonstop for around $250 per person. And will try to arrange rides from there.

The hotel indicated that there was only 1 double room left as part of the block of rooms reserved for Forgecon. If you want to book a double room, act fast!

Looking forward to playing games with all of you!

woodelf

Quote from: Clyde L. Rhoer on March 07, 2008, 01:32:53 PM
Thanks for the offer. I'm not going to be trying to make a complete restaurant page, but more a local vetted, chain-light, restaurant page. Think Maharajah, New Orleans Take Out, Dave's Jamaican, etc. plus a link to a google search that lists the fourty to fifty restaurants in the immediate area of the hotel plus a link to thedailypage the Isthmuses website which does an excellent job of comprehensive restaurant listings and reviews. Hopefully done soon.

Oh, ok. Hadn't thought about the Isthmus' listings, since i'm not usually trying to find restaurants online. You planning to include NOTO, or was that just an example and you're sticking with stuff that's close to the hotel? Just curious.

Quote from: jenskot on March 09, 2008, 02:13:10 AM
We are flying from NY LGA to Milwaukee nonstop for around $250 per person. And will try to arrange rides from there.

The Badger Bus runs from Milwaukee airport to downtown Madison every couple of hours, for $40 round trip. You'd then have to use city buses ($1.50, ) or a cab ($15.25+$1/person with Badger Cab; ~$22 with Union Cab) or a ride from a friend/acquaintance to get to the hotel.
--
woodelf
not necessarily speaking on behalf of
The Impossible Dream

Blankshield

Quote from: jenskot on March 09, 2008, 02:13:10 AM
Thor and I will be at the hotel from Friday at 6:30pm to Sunday around 3pm.

Heya,

If you don't work anything else out, I'm landing at Milwaukee at 6:20 Friday and leaving at 19:00 Sunday, and have already booked a rental to drive in.  If you hang around the extra hour and a half, we could car pool in, and for an international flight and allowing for delays etc. I'm probably wanting to leave around 3 on Sunday so car pool out as well...

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Malky

From the gamer formerly known as "Nitramwi"...

I'm looking forward to meeting and gaming with you all here in Madisonhere soon!

Thanks Ron for clearing up what this will be all about, and I'm still looking forward to it!

GamerChick

I just booked a double, non-smoking, and would entertain the idea of a non-smoking roommate. Am female and no longer snore, thanks to the CPAP machine. :)

Driving from East Lansing on Friday am, and would be willing to pick people up along the way...

Emily Care

Heya,

Looks like Epidiah Ravachol and me will make it there, too. Woo-hoo!

I'd like to run my jeep form version of Under my Skin. Anyone know if there may be separate space to run a game in? Or should I figure on using a hotel room? I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Google calendar, too, to perhaps schedule this. Ideally it takes a 6hr chunk of time, which might be easier for people to plan ahead on taking part in.

Thanks for making this happen, Willow et al. Can't wait to see everyone!

best,
Em
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Nev the Deranged

Still looking for one or two more to fill out our room, if anyone needs last minute lodging.