News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSOY] Large scale BtDP (aka Bring Down the Birthright)

Started by sabbatregent, January 29, 2008, 03:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabbatregent

In another thread Eero said:

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on January 22, 2008, 07:20:23 PM
(On the other hand, I'm waiting expectantly for somebody to take Birthright's premise and run a Solar System game focused on rulership and large-scale social matters. I'm sure that long-term BDtP would come up in a game where a war could be fought in a single conflict...)

Since many people have expressed interest in such a game, I open this topic to discuss ideas on how such a thing could be handled.
TSOY in Spanish: La sombra del ayer

Eero Tuovinen

I imagine it'd depend a lot on what an individual understood by "Birthright". I'm mostly excited by the fact that roleplaying hasn't usually been very good at doing the following genres justice:

• Military scifi/fantasy; modern stuff like Weber, Modesitt, whatever. Not high literature for the most part, but certainly a genre that should see play. Processes of social change and martial campaigning get taken through their paces in this genre of literature, TSoY has tools for doing that stuff much better than some other games.
  • Miniature games like Warhammer have had roleplaying-like campaigns since the dawn of time, more or less, but usually they've been pretty unsatisfactory because the rules system of a miniature game does not a fruitful roleplaying game platform make. Somebody needs to do the definitive version of that, a game where the players are fully able to play strong character roles while playing battles, too.

Then again, for all I know REIGN already does this stuff.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

oliof

See the REIGN of TSoY thing I posted about half a year ago. The REIGN company rules handle all this stuff quite abstractly, but the slow destruction of a rival faction can very well be seen as longterm/large scale BDtP. I'll use the company rules as a backend mechanism in a (german) play by post, but only to get out of the handwaving process. In other words: Expect an actual play report by summer.

sabbatregent: Do you want me to go into details regarding REIGNS company rules and my application to TSOY; or do you want to talk about a tsoy-specific solution?

oliof

sabbatregent

Harald, I'm thinking about a TSOY specific solution, in the "longterm/large scale BDtP" idea perhaps, but I wouldn't consider the REIGN idea as a derrailment of the thread. I hope that everyone that ones to contribute may come up with their own ideas on how to do this.

Andrew Cooper

I am very interested in this thread.  I've already started putting together stuff to use TSoY to play in the Birthright setting.  I'd love to be able to add some rules for the very large scale stuff that handles Domain vs Domain kinds of actions.  One of the interesting methods of doing this I've stolen from FATE 2.0 where each Domain/Realm is essentially a character with it's own Aspects and Skills and whatnot.  I've just not been sure how to convert that over to TSoY very well yet.

sabbatregent

Glad to see there's interest. I'm thinking bout this, or I will think about this, as I'm now in a Game Chef-like competition that's taking a lot of my time, but I'll return to comment on this when the craziness of the contest ends.