News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Agon] Conversion to Shadowrun Setting

Started by Mendolin, January 31, 2008, 05:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mendolin

Hey.... I'm new to the forum and just bought a copy of agon!

I wonder though what happened to the shadowrun conversion of the agon rules?

Jan

Clinton R. Nixon

Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Mendolin

I actually noticed this. Thanks anyway.
Thus I asked, because the topic you linked me to ends april 07.

Has the conversion idea seen any further construction?

Jan

John Harper

Hi Jan,

A couple of friends of mine have taken up the conversion and are close to finishing it. As soon as we get it polished, I'll make it available on the Agon website.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Mendolin

Oh.
That's kinda sad.
I was curious how things went on. Maybe contribute something.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this, because I like the rules of agon and the setting of shadowrun.

John Harper

If you want to contribute something, please do!

Start a thread here (or where ever) and go for it. Nothing is set in stone at all.

Mendolin

Quote from: John Harper on January 31, 2008, 05:32:36 PM
If you want to contribute something, please do!

It's not that I've figured out something yet. I would have been only happy to take part in a discussion.
The 3 pieces you presented of the conversion looked very, very good to me.
Especially that you mirrored the abilitys, so that they fit with each ability in agon. That is:

Body=Might
Willpower=Spirit
Quickness=Grace
Intelligence=Insight

Command=Orate
Systems=Music <- funny... ;)
Medic=Heal
Sorcery=Lore

Intel=Hunt (at least a bit)
Athletics=Athletics
Intrusion=Cunning
Contacts=Wrestle (the only change... I admit it looks plausible... but maybe you adjust the "command" ability to cover contacts as well and make this ability something like "driving vehicles", this would correspond with the ancient sport of wrestle to the modern sport of motor!)

Firefight=Spear
Support=Aim
Close Combat=Sword
Evasion=Shield

I was also wondering how you would introduce a system for nuyen and resources. I know it didn't played a role in agon but in shadowrun it certainly does.
Maybe it should be a simple option for advancement. Meaning: A new implant of cyberware costs advances as well as the new formula for a spell.

It's maybe weird but I would represent the gods of agon with the megacorps of shadowrun.

Some thoughts from me.

-Jan

Clinton R. Nixon

I've been hacking in my spare time on a cyberpunk Agon thing (reality TV + paid missions = popular mercenaries, basically) and the gods issue came up. I mapped them to backgrounds, which isn't as strange as it sounds. Someone from the Sprawl streets has different favored abilities and a way to refocus themselves than a CorpVat-grown assassin or a spook from Fortress USA.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Mendolin

I reorganised the abilitys because "beast" minions should have a d4 in 4 abilitiy due to their lack of intelligence -->Sophisticated!

CORE
Body=Might
Willpower=Spirit
Quickness=Grace
Intelligence=Insight

SOPHISTICATED
Vehicles=Wrestle
Systems=Music
Medic=Heal
Connectivity=Orate

SPECIAL OPS
Intel=Hunt (at least a bit)
Athletics=Athletics
Intrusion=Cunning
Astral(Sorcery)=Lore <-- It's not fitting Lore anymore... because gathering information would better be handled by systems or connectivity!

COMBAT
Firefight=Spear
Support=Aim
Close Combat=Sword
Evasion=Shield

What do you all think about this one?

@Nixon:

It's a great idea. But it would be more fitting as "heroic traits" or at least part of chargen "heroic traits". Maybe making the "traits" a combination of "race"+"background".
Background can not call for mission and operations so they can't actually be the pendant of gods in agon.

-Jan

Mendolin

BTW: Cyberware and Sorcery rules are very elegant. No changes here! :D

John Harper

Jan: Those are good suggestions! I'll think about it a bit more, but your abilities look good to me.

Clinton: Your hack sounds cool.

Mendolin

I'm thinking about the god issue again and I must admit the solution of Nixon prove to be very elegant.
Megacorps can only represent some of the abilitys. At a closer look at the gods of agon:
They have always one ability from the Combat section and, except of two, always one from the Core section.
Backgrounds as Nixon presented will do, I suppose.
So a ex-pupil of a wizarding school will have a background like this: Intelligence, Astral, Firefight(Bolts) [The equivalent of Athena]
Maybe Nixon can toss in his "backgrounds" for the discussion.

I'm looking forward for non-combat battles in SR-Agon. "Systems", "Astral" and "Vehicles" call for the classic Shadowrun non-pistol conflicts. It's wise to stay fit in this stats because you'll lose much Rep hacking a sec-system without a decent "Systems" rating.
Abstract non-combat battles in agon become usual non-combat battles in SR. And they're gonna be fun!
We'll have to assign abilitys to those:

Not playtested or well made:(only suggestions)

Systems: Attack=Intelligence; Defense=Willpower and Armor=Vehicles(here Armor progs! ;) )
Astral: Attack=Intelligence; Defense=Willpower and Armor=Connectivity
Vehicles: Attack=Quickness; Defense=Willpower and Armor=Systems
Connectivity: Attack=Willpower; Defense=Intelligence and Armor=Astral
Athletics: Attack=Quickness; Defense=Body and Armor=Intel
Intel: Attack=Intelligence; Defense=Body and Armor=Intrusion
Intrusion: Attack=Willpower; Defense=Intelligence and Armor=Athletics

I'm not so sure about the above... suggestions welcome! It's late over here in germany! ;)

claes

How's the conversion coming along? It was some time there were any new posts regarding it.

Aaron

I was just reading the RPG net thread again, noticed one of my players was ther last to post and the promised character stuff never made it!  Talk about leaving us hanging! hahah.  I was just talking about Shadowrun to my friends a couple of days ago and how it was lacking that something.  Ago could be the answer.