News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

(Q) Thread about competitive auctions for "generating" setting elements?

Started by baron samedi, March 11, 2008, 03:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baron samedi

Greetings,

Is there a thread on the Forge regarding games that discusses the use of competitive resource auctions for "generating" setting elements in tabletop RPGs, such as can be found (but not for setting design) in the Amber RPG to some degree (ranks), R.D. Laws' Pantheon & Baron Munchausen (narration auctions) or The Pool (elements auctions)?

Thanks for any help,

Silence Indigo
www.silenceindigo.org

Eero Tuovinen

Not that I'd remember one off-hand. Difficult to say, considering the amount of discussion over the years.

Perhaps we could generate some? What are you thinking of using the resource auction for? The showcase game for this kind of stuff is Universalis, by the way, the whole game is predicated on an universal player resource that's blown on generating content.

One thing to note is that often enough many, many mechanics in games are functionally auctions, and sometimes even auctions over determining setting facts. A conventional example is old-style D&D combat that, when played smartly, is really just a somewhat randomized auction: how many hitpoints are you willing to pay for winning? Should you get out of the auction on your turn, or strike again and hope that your luck turns?
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

baron samedi

Thanks Eero,

I am, in fact, generating one and wanted so see what "best practices" advocated. Resource allocation for world design was intended as a basic for both chargen and NPC-gen, since I want point-buy GM opposition like the RUNE rpg.

In other worlds, players auction separately for components of the game world, actual rules selection, premise and NPC generation. The more points bid on some element, the more points for the GM to allocate in that category.

Since I have other games in priorities, this won't be till 2009 probably, but I wanted to keep in touch with the latest trends in this field.

Thanks,

Erick
www.silenceindigo.org

Eero Tuovinen

Yeah, that sounds a lot like Universalis. I recommend checking that out, it's an interesting, different game, and quite pure in the philosophy it has towards the composition of the roleplaying activity.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.