News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Story Tokens and Inspirations

Started by Keiko, March 22, 2008, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnUghrin

Quote from: Keiko on April 10, 2008, 09:05:30 AM
As I understand, you need an Ability of 6 (or a 6 point Inspiration) to use on a Conflict with a value of 6 since the Ability has to be rated equal too and higher than the highest die on the Conflict? When you split the dice it drops the highest dice value to 3 so opens up many more Abilities to use in affecting the Conflict

Or am I totally screwy here?

One die does not grant "protection" to other dice on the conflict. So, yes, you couldn't immediately affect the 6, but you could go right ahead and affect the 1 with any ability at all. Even if the 6 and 1 were on the same side, you could roll the 1.

In the situation you describe, your best bet would be to use an Inspiration on the 1, split that result with as much debt as possible and roll up one of the dice. You could even use an Inspiration after the roll if you like. (Assuming you have an Inspirations as well as debt lying around.)

So for example, your turn might go like this:
1) Starting with a lonely 1 die, use a 4 point Inspiration to make it a 4
2) Stake 4 debt to split the 4 die into four 1 dice. (1-1-1-1)
3) Roll one of the 1's (let's say you get a 3.) 1-1-1-3
4) Use a 3-point Inspiration on one of the 1's. 1-1-3-4

Now your side has a total of 8, and two 1's for potential allies to easily affect. This makes your side more inviting to other players, since they won't have to stake debt just to get in on the action (as they would with the 6.

Of course, all this is assuming I understand the rules correctly myself. :)

Keiko

Quote from: JohnUghrin on April 10, 2008, 06:28:41 PM
Quote from: Keiko on April 09, 2008, 12:04:39 PM
Oh and is it the highest die or the highest value on a conflict that determines what rating and Ability needs to affect it?

Neither. Its the value of whatever die you want to affect.

So you could have a side with a 6 and a 1. To roll the 6, you'd need to split it first by staking debt. To roll the 1, well anything should work.

At least, that's how I've been playing it.

Looking again I see that you are right; I've been misreading it. Ain't a doofus.

JohnUghrin

Quote from: Keiko on April 12, 2008, 09:35:01 PM
Looking again I see that you are right; I've been misreading it. Ain't a doofus.

Don't worry about it. My first time, I totally botched the rules for reactions (we were spending story tokens and inspirations all over the place.) Your question prompted me to reread the rules and I noticed a few more things that I had missed. Although, mercifully, these were sins of omission. "Oh, I didn't realize you could do that at the beginning of the scene."