News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Nine Worlds] How Shall We Then Prep?

Started by GreatWolf, January 25, 2008, 12:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatWolf

So, tonight, my group ventures into the Nine Worlds.  My current plan is to prep similarly to how I prep for Legends of Alyria, to wit:

1)  Do fly-over of setting, touching on "cool bits".

2)  Get group to agree on one or two aspects of setting to focus on.

3)  Elaborate on those setting items.

4)  Create storymap, outlining local conflict.  Include Archons in storymap.

5)  Have players select Archons from storymap.

6)  Stat out and play!

I'm posting this to see if people think that this is a bad way to come at Nine Worlds.  So, thoughts?  Advice?  Other stuff?
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Matt Snyder

This is very appropriate. Thinking of it like Alyria is a great approach. I find they have important similarities.

The only thing I'd add as an option is to talk to the group what Greek myths (if any) they think are cool. Does someone really like, oh, Theseus and the minotaur or something? Great! The next step is to think up a way to tie the NEW to that OLD story. Don't play Theseus. Play his descendant. That's a common way of doing it, anyway.

Now, I also find this sort of thing comes about without actually saying "Hey, I like Hephaestus falling from the sky" or whatver. They just sort of bubble up and fit into the "cracks" of that first session of creating Archons and choosing setting points.

Again, don't fixate on the myths, but toss ideas out there to stew the pot a bit. It's especially fun to think up really clever ways to recast the myths in the funky setting.

For example: Say someone does say "Yeah, I like Theseus and the minotaur." Ok, that's very cool. Maybe you have someone hired by a rich nobleman from, oh, Mercury or whatever. And, he's hired you to rescue his child / children who were given to the Titans on Saturn as a bribe to save Mercury and its trade lines from titanic onslaught. BAM! Instant muses (Muse: Save Child X from Saturn and return her to her father: 4), and you've got a nice twist on the myth. My example here isn't "exact" to the original myth, but it informs play in a cool way.

Otherwise, this is great! I can't wait to hear how it goes.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

GreatWolf

Quote from: Matt Snyder on January 25, 2008, 03:26:35 PM
This is very appropriate. Thinking of it like Alyria is a great approach. I find they have important similarities.

And I have a pull quote from Ron to prove it!

The only thing I'd add as an option is to talk to the group what Greek myths (if any) they think are cool. Does someone really like, oh, Theseus and the minotaur or something? Great! The next step is to think up a way to tie the NEW to that OLD story. Don't play Theseus. Play his descendant. That's a common way of doing it, anyway.

I'll keep this in mind, and I'll try to report back on how much it mattered during prep.

Otherwise, this is great! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Oh, you will.  Nine Worlds will feel the fury of my fanboy powerz!

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown