News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Mortal Coil] New campaign

Started by Ravenspath, July 05, 2008, 09:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravenspath

Hello,
First off let me say thank you for creating Mortal Coil. I have been gaming for close to 30 years and MC has me completely besotted. I recently received the PDF and have read the book 3 times in about 4 days. I actually printed it and had it spiral bound so I could read it more often.

We are going to be starting a campaign soon and I would like to get your input on a few things. While we have not set the theme yet we are leaning more towards a modern day game with magic to be pretty common in the sense that it is common knowledge, but not that everyone can do it.

One thing we are discussing is to have rotating GMs since 2 or the three of us regularly GM other games and we all want characters in MC. The thought is that we would each have a character and then the GM pools of tokens that would rotate through us as we took turns. If I am GM and want to spend a token on my character it would come from my character's pools. Including magical facts for that character. If I am creating a magical fact that has no direct impact on my character it would come from the GM pool. What are your thoughts on this?

I am thinking of playing a were-raven (ala Corax from white wolf). In the initial set up how much would I need to define by sacrificing magic tokens and how much can be assumed. My thought was that with the character creation I could change shape between the raven and human form. To be able to change into the Corvus form (humanoid raven)  I would need to sacrifice a magic token. And what about the limitations? A corax is allergic to gold like a were-wolf is silver. Would that be defined by me at the outset (assumed) or the other players?

As soon as we get theme document done I hope to post it as others have done. And I will probably be posting play session summaries either here or on my blog.

Thank you.

Ravenspath

Okay, in reading the rules again it seems I was wrong. For the were raven example I gave before it would be that at character creation I would set the character as a were raven. Then I would sacrifice magic tokens for the ability to change shape, 2, 1 for each form. And then tokens for any other abilities.

I've also been reading the conflict examples which has helped a great deal as well.

Brennan Taylor

You got it! When a character is created, all you know is that one of the character's aptitudes is magical. What powers that confers is a mystery until they are set in play.

Your rotating GM idea seems sound, I think that will work just fine in play.

Glad you like the game so much, I look forward to hearing more about your campaign!