News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Conflict] Playtest Rules

Started by Landon Winkler, April 15, 2008, 12:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landon Winkler

Hello,

I've posted a copy of the playtest rules I'm using for my new game here: www.geocities.com/landonwinkler/Conflict_Playtest.pdf

What I'm trying to do, overall, is create a system to match the sort of freeform but still GMed games I've been running for years using systems that don't quite fit. As a bonus, the freeform nature will hopefully open up a range of new settings and character concepts without attaching clunky rules.

The basic idea behind Conflict is letting the story quite literally drive the dice, while rewarding ingenuity and roleplaying in the simplest framework possible. The rules might still be too bloated, dice heavy, restrictive, or unclear to meet these goals, which is why I'd like people interested in these topics to have a look at the rules.

The rules as presented are intended to be fully featured, so if you'd like to use them as-is, feel more than free. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Cheers!
Landon

Illetizgerg

The rules seem a little spread out, so lemme see if I got it all correct. When a Conflict starts characters go around (starting with the character who started the Conflict) and roll a trait to add to their side's pool for that conflict. This is called a Narration. A normal character in the conflict may only add to a pool once per scene, called their Basic Narration. If a character wants to make more narrations then they can do one of the following:

+ If a character is directly defending against one side of the conflict then they get an extra narration to defend themselves that does not count as their Basic Narration. You cannot reuse a Trait that has already been used to Defend.

+If a character has an applicable Passion then they can tap each one once per scene in order to get an extra narration, which does not count as their Basic Narration. You cannot reuse a Trait that has already been used in your Passion.

+If the resolution of the Conflict would result in narrative powers over a player's character to be removed from that player, then that player may make a Last Stand (not counting as a Basic Narration). This is an extra narration where the trait dice used are damaged afterwards. You can use any Trait that you want for this.

Is this basically correct?

Overall I think it's very good. I was thinking of suggesting that you add the dice themselves to a pool and then roll them all at the end, but I think it works better the way it is.

Landon Winkler

Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you like the system.

Regarding the rules being spread out, do you think it might help to have a one page cheatsheet? Or does it just need an introductory section to lay out the basic structure?

As far as your understanding, you're pretty much spot on. The process of drawing more narrations out of the Scene is the key to victory. The only thing I'd clarify is that there can be a lot of different Conflicts in one Scene. Each narration rolls a Trait on one specific Conflict.

For example there might be three Conflicts out in a Scene describing a clash between armies: Rout the Defending Army, Hold the Walls, and Kill the Attacking General. The exact outcome of the battle would be determined by the narration by each Conflict's victor.

Cheers!
Landon

Illetizgerg

Hey Landon, no problem. As far as speeding up the whole learning process, I would say break it down into a couple of bullet points for both character creation and conflict. Maybe try introducing how exactly the dice will factor into winning/losing conflicts earlier.

Because multiple conflicts play such a big part of the game, you could allow players to put multiple dice into a trait and then use individual dice in different narrations during the same scene. That is to say, if you had something like a d10 and d6 in a trait, you could choose to spend the d10 on one conflict and the d6 on another.

- Gregory Zitelli

Landon Winkler

Hi Gregory,

Thanks again for all the feedback. I've gone ahead and restructured the character and conflict sections a bit, to allow for an overview. I think you're right about the bullet points. Hopefully I was able to map it out without being too confusing.

I also added a note about splitting up dice when your narration affects multiple Conflicts. That's definitely one of those things I'd allow if it came up in play, but wouldn't have stumbled to myself. Thanks!

I've posted the updated pdf at the same place for everyone interested: www.geocities.com/landonwinkler/Conflict_Playtest.pdf

Cheers!
Landon

Illetizgerg

I can't find the section on Mastery. A couple places reference it and say it's below them, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

- Gregory Zitelli

Landon Winkler

Gregory,

Thanks for pointing that out, I seem to have skipped over it entirely somehow. I've added it now (its on page 9) and uploaded the new version.

Cheers!
Landon