News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer & Sword

Started by Zak Arntson, June 26, 2001, 12:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zak Arntson

Okay, I got my über-copy of Sorcerer.  And I can say that Sorcerer & Sword rocks the entire combined worlds that make up my rump.

So much so that I went to the local 2nd hand bookstore, blew 25 bucks, and walked out with 9 fantasy paperbacks (Lieber, C.L. Moore, Poul Anderson, Wagner, Offutt, David Drake, Keith Taylor, Michael Shea, Jessica Salmonson), one Robert Bloch, and a pair of Stanislaw Lems (not part of the motif, I know).

Dang I love this ... raw (?) fantasy (I don't know what to call it to separate it from Elf-Dragon-Trilogy fantasy) and I love you too, Mr. Ron Edwards!!

Now I've just got to play the thing ...

Supplanter

In building my &Sword library, I picked up Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword, since it was in the bibliography and there was actually a copy to be had. Man! That is one cold, cold book. Interesting that it was written more or less contemporaneously with Lord of the Rings (which I've never been able to reread with pleasure, which is to say I've never been able to reread it) and is maybe the last Norse-inflected fantasy novel innocent of Tolkein influence.

I was struck generally by just how hard it was to find even used copies of so much of the literature Ron referenced. These are things that were all over the new bookstore shelves when I was in that business in the early 80s.

Best,

Jim
Unqualified Offerings - Looking Sideways at Your World
20' x 20' Room - Because Roleplaying Games Are Interesting

joshua neff

zak--

i had pretty much the same experience as you.
i never really thought of myself as "someone who likes sword & sorcery lit" (probably due to my incredibly wussiness). but i read through &sword & LOVED it, & immediately started digging for books on the bibliography (& like supplanter had a really hard time finding stuff). i've now read through some elric stuff & lankhmar stuff (both of which i'd read in junior high but which seemed fresh & new to me this time 'round). liked the elric stories & absolutely adored the leiber stories. i'm still looking for good conan & other books.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Ron Edwards

Hey folks,

I can't add much to my vitriolic text in Sword about the history of fantasy fiction, except to tell you that I wish many horrible things upon (say) Mercedes Lackey every time I go into a bookstore ...

Jim, it's good to know you and I still have room for agreement on some things. We may never get on the same page ABOUT this stuff we like, but we're right together on WHAT it is, eh?

And, um, Josh? Love you too. I guess. (This "cult of Ron" stuff is getting way out of hand)

Best,
Ron

Best,
Ron

Zak Arntson

On 2001-06-26 16:32, Ron Edwards wrote:
I can't add much to my vitriolic text in Sword about the history of fantasy fiction, except to tell you that I wish many horrible things upon (say) Mercedes Lackey every time I go into a bookstore ...

Okay, 3rd freaking time I've replied here.  Jeesh.  Even Clinton's cookie fix isn't working here.  Okay, short version:

I have never read Mercedes Lackey (but now I"m curious, in that b-movie fascination of mine).

I am reading Jirel of Joiry and it's great!!  (luckily, having read lots of Lovecraft, I can remove my 90's sensibilities and not put a book down when it turns out the best way to get a lover is to force your lips on theirs and then smack 'em across the room).

Is there any book/internet/other resource that lists this kind of information?  I'd like to be able to expand my list of "to get" books and authors, and read more than just a cursory description (or, in some cases, a title and author).

And, um, Josh? Love you too. I guess. (This "cult of Ron" stuff is getting way out of hand)

I was the guilty (but loving) party there.  But I don't know about the Cult of Ron.  I've seen it mentioned here on the Forge, but I don't know what it is.

[ This Message was edited by: Zak Arntson on 2001-06-26 17:48 ]

joshua neff

hey, look! it's a big ol' sword & sorcery love-in!
--josh

Uncle Dark

Zak,

The Cult of Ron secrets can be found over here... down this dark alley...

*thwack*

Now go forth like a good disciple and read everything Ron ever wrote.  Remember at all times your sacred duty to repeat and defend everything Ron has said about gaming with the same fervor as a scientologist explaining why "Battlefield Earth" is actually the best SF movie ever.

Lon
Reality is what you can get away with.

Ron Edwards

It's a good thing we're lovin'-in over here, because it sure as fuck isn't happening in GNS 101.

The Cult thing is a joke based on the number of people who started referencing my stuff during discussions in various fora, thus generating anxiety in people who hadn't seen said stuff.

Anyway, enough babble. What was this thread about?

Best,
Ron

Supplanter

Sword and Sorcery, and Sorcerer and Sword. Which reminds me, awhile ago on GO I rather archly said that there was already a treasure table in &Sword. Now that you own Epiphany, I wonder if you know where the treasure/wealth table is? Care to venture?

Best,

Jim
Unqualified Offerings - Looking Sideways at Your World
20' x 20' Room - Because Roleplaying Games Are Interesting

joshua neff

i just checked amazon.com & the disfavored hero by jessica a. salmonson is in print, which is new, i believe, as i've checked on her tomoe gozen stuff before & found it all out-of-print & difficult to find. i can't tell if this is a collection (as it's the only tomoe gozen book in print) or just one novel, though. ron, do you know?
--josh

Ron Edwards

No, I'm pretty ignorant about who's publishing what these days. As a side bit of info, though, JA Salmonson has always had one foot in the indie scene, though, publishing horror zines like Fantasy Macabre and a lot of small-press stuff in general.

As a used-bookstore fiend, I'm a bit surprised to hear about people's troubles finding copies of my references in Sword. I still see copies of most of it all 'round the place - even some CA Smith, recently. Maybe we ought to do a blitz of bookstores in Milwaukee during a lull at GenCon, so everyone gets tanked up on the good stuff.

Best,
Ron

greyorm

Maybe we ought to do a blitz of bookstores in Milwaukee during a lull at GenCon, so everyone gets tanked up on the good stuff.
Damn, yes.  I have no used bookstore access here.  I have no ability to get "the good stuff," though I've wanted to.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Zak Arntson

Cripes.  I just went and bought another ... counting ... 11 books.

Moorcock, Fritz Leiber, Tanith Lee (2), David C Smith (2), MacDonald (3).

Oh, and a George Alec Effinger and Walter B. Gibson, but they don't count.

Feeeeel the love, Ron.

Except the only Robert E. Howard book I have is Almuric.  And it's mighty crapulent.  Two (2!) used bookstores near my work, both HEAVILY stocked with F&SF don't have shit for Howard.  Well, they had Almuric.  I'm getting really angry about this.  I may have to brave downtown now ... or do some online ordering.

Ron Edwards

Almuric, crapulent??

I look at it as Howard's answer to the Barsoom books by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

OK, granted, the Barsoom books are awesome classics, or most of them anyway. They are amazing science fiction and swashbuckling. However, they are also quintessentially Victorian in spirit - no sweat, no sex, no baffled American indignation (in fact, Carter is often infuriatingly smug). I can just see Howard thrilling to John Carter's adventures ... and then saying, "Hey, these are wonderful ideas, but the people are kind of bloodless. Here, let me show you."

And so Almuric is low on ideas (no clones, no symbiotic creatures, no wild & crazy creatures), but it's hefty on what men and women do, and how they feel about it. I think it's the world Howard wanted to be transported to, as opposed to Barsoom, based on American frontier romanticism rather than on European derring-do.

Burroughs: Barsoom. Lovecraft: the Dreamlands. Howard: Almuric.

Granted, it ain't a GREAT book.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Hey Zak,

What'd you get by David C. Smith? I've got a trilogy that includes Master of Evil. I enjoyed the first volume in that trilogy quite a bit. I think I read a little ways into the second volume, but never finished reading the whole trilogy.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans