News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Epic Fighty Robots game in the embryonic stage

Started by Joel P. Shempert, March 19, 2008, 01:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dindenver

Joel,
  I think that when one track is maxed, the conflict is over. So that is what will bring a inclusive result. The states I listed assumed that at least one track was maxed out. So, win/lose would be bars maxed out, while inconclusive would be bars in every other state.
  So, I imagine that most conflicts will end with only one bar maxed out of the four bars involved (hero's battle and goal as well as villains). That being the case, most narration will follow that paradigm, where one thing is done and another is left undone. You defeated him in battle, but the enemy took your girlfriend away while you were fighting and you couldn't rescue them. See what I mean?
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

dindenver

Joel,
  Also, I think that if the player doesn't have a clear goal, than there is no conflict, right? Isn't that the theme of gundam, why do we fight? And that the guy that is blinded by their lust for battle, they will never actually achieve their goals, isn't it?
  Just a thought.
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

wyrdlyng

Coming in late but throwing in my 2 cents, I really like some of the ideas you're whipping about (being a huge Gundam fan). I think a Duel track is a great idea. I do think though that Passions should play a very large role in the duel. All of the Gundam series have shown that in the end, it's not the machine it's the pilot's drive, and what they're willing to sacrifice, that determines the outcomes of these duels.

Gundam Wing has this all over the place but it's also clear in the other Gundam shows. [SPOILERS]

In Gundam SEED, Kira and Athrun fight like berzerkers in the Pacific with Athrun finally grappling Kira's machine and setting his own to self-destruct in order to make sure that Kira dies.

You could even relate Mu's final defense of the Archangel, also in SEED, as a duel between himself and the Dominion's Lohengrin blast. He succeeded in protecting the Archangel but at the cost of his life.

In Zeta Gundam, Kamille manages to kill Paptimus at the end but at the cost of letting Paptimus shred his mind, leaving him a vegetable.

In Char's Counter Attack, Amuro and Char's final battle came down to who was willing to sacrifice themselves in order to see their goal achieved.

Even the recent Gundam 00 has Patrick in a Flag defeat Setsuna's Gundam because his desire for revenge is enough to drive him to destroy himself in the process.

In the big duels that matter the most it comes down to who's passion is greater rather than machine specs or skill. And winning the big duel usually results in a massive sacrifice being required.
Alex Hunter
Email | Web