News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Wargames?

Started by Plognark, April 16, 2008, 08:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plognark

Just curious if it's cool to discuss something more like a wargame, along the lines of the old battletech stuff or maybe warhammer. I've got a beta written, but I don't see anything but classic RPG's here...

Evan Anhorn

I make both RPGs and wargames.  Not entirely unrelated types of games, at least in theory.

Eero Tuovinen

Historically we've been pretty lax about the definition of "roleplaying game" here in all kinds of weird directions, so I'd assume that wargames would go over well. I know for myself that I can hardly distinguish where the Battletech wargame ends and rpg begins, and that's pretty interesting. I also read any stuff about wargaming culture as it relates to rpgs with great interest, as the former has been rather influential in the development of the latter.

Next time you might wish to ask this kind of thing on the Site Discussion subforum, though. That's what it's for.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Plognark

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on April 16, 2008, 12:29:58 PM
Historically we've been pretty lax about the definition of "roleplaying game" here in all kinds of weird directions, so I'd assume that wargames would go over well. I know for myself that I can hardly distinguish where the Battletech wargame ends and rpg begins, and that's pretty interesting. I also read any stuff about wargaming culture as it relates to rpgs with great interest, as the former has been rather influential in the development of the latter.

Next time you might wish to ask this kind of thing on the Site Discussion subforum, though. That's what it's for.

Ok, fair enough. I've come across some game groups that draw a line in the sand between card/rpg/war games. Kind of silly, but it's worth testing the waters, ya know?