Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:02:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 76 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Questions For Capes Lite  (Read 4029 times)
LandonSuffered

« on: May 02, 2008, 11:04:44 AM »

I really want to run Capes for some friends that are going to be spending the next couple days with us.  We plan on seeing Iron Man<Capes Lite<UP<DOWN<characters while Story Tokens and Inspiration are assigned to players?

Finally, I want to make certain I understand the Overdrawn <HOWEVER, only one die (the highest) is re-rolled
-   This check and re-roll happens only once per page and AT THE BEGINNING, before all other actions (including Claiming conflicts)

Thanks for your help folks!!!  I am excited to play!

Jonathan
JohnUghrin

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »

Howdy, I won't claim to be the world's most profound Capes expert, but I'll take a crack at answering as I understand the rules.

1.   Can more than one person stake debt on a particular side of a single conflict? For example, Player A and Player B both want to stake debt on Kill the Hostages, Player C and Player D both want to stake debt to oppose.

Yes.

2.   Follow-up to question to #1: if more than one player can stake debt, does that mean that a single token can be staked to split a dice?  For example: Player A personally stakes 3 debt to split a 4 into a 2, 1, 1; can Player B stake 1 debt to turn the 2 into a 1, 1 (total value: 1, 1, 1, 1)?

umm...no? I'm pretty sure that he'd still need to invest two debt to split the 2.

Character's Action, although it can be done before and/or after rolling&reactions.

5.   Since an ability needs to be equal to or greater than a die to re-roll it, a 6 can only be re-rolled after first splitting it by staking debt, right?

Correct.

7.   If Inspiration can only be used to turn a die value UP<DOWN, so what good is a block 1???!!!

I actually was confused about this too. It turns out that during a character's action, you can narrate that character musing or reminiscing or brooding about an Inspiration to raise it. The character must use an ability that is at least the starting value of the Inspiration. This possibility doesn't get much press in the rules as it isn't all that interesting (mechanically speaking), and I'm not even sure its in Capes Lite.

10.   If an Overdrawn character is KILLED in a scene (assuming the player has at least one more character available, from a Story Token, for example) the debt disappears with the character?

I wouldn't say "disappears" because that character could return with all that debt later. Debt is "owned" by a character, not a player. Therefore, if the character goes away, then so does the Debt. That's a motivation for creating relatively disposable adversaries for your fellow players.  When Dr. Disposable loses a conflict, he may become overwhelmed with Debt, but YOU get to walk away with any Story Tokens you coaxed out of your fellow players Debt.

11.   Debt is assigned to characters while Story Tokens and Inspiration are assigned to players?

Yup.

Finally, I want to make certain I understand the Overdrawn <HOWEVER, only one die (the highest) is re-rolled
-   This check and re-roll happens only once per page and AT THE BEGINNING, before all other actions (including Claiming conflicts)

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
umm...Yes although, offhand, I'm not sure it has to happen before claims, etc....
JohnUghrin

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 03:51:15 PM »

Uhlrik

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:09:58 PM »

Stefan / 1of3

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 03:11:10 PM »

IIRC (don't have my PDF to hand), you can't veto goals, just Events.

You can veto a goal if and only if it is a goal FOR a character you play. Say you play Capt. Proton and somebody else attempts to introduce: "Goal: Capt. Proton tries to flee". You can veto that, but then Capt. Proton can't flee. (He obviously doesn't want to.)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: