News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Pre-emptive attack too good?

Started by Brian Leybourne, June 27, 2002, 10:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance D. Allen

After some thought on the topic, I decided how I personally will interpret the Simo Block/Strike dice divisions. This is my take on it, so feel free to ignore it or debate it, as you decide.

I will strictly enforce the 1/3:2/3 split. The reason I will do this is because it promotes a bit more thought on the decision. If you want a stronger attack, but want it to be the lesser of the two, you will have to bump up both of them. For instance, if you are going for a 3:6 attack:defense, but decide you would like to raise the attack number, but still keep it the lower value, you will have to raise the upper as well, for instance to 4:8. The more aggressive your attack, the stronger defense you'll have to mount to avoid being hit, or the tougher your defense, the more effort you'll need to put into the attack. It's a matter of what level you are committing to the maneuver on. It also avoids a bit of twinking by allowing a better attack for a lower level of commitment. (4:6 or 5:8 for example)

However, I will note that even with a very high level of commitment (say, the aforementioned 8:4 defense:offense) you risk leaving yourself open. This is how I will interpret the rule. Any flaws in my reasoning? Feel free to point them out.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brand_Robins

Quote from: BrianLIt's a pity Jake's gone away actually, since I have sent him the Combat Sim v2 which I think you guys will like, there's about 20 weapons, full maneuvers etc.

Which you "think" we will like? Now, not speaking for anyone else here -- but I will have your babies for you once you make this avaliable.
- Brand Robins

Lance D. Allen

I've got the sim, and I can vouch that it is very nice. I was thrilled when I saw that he'd put in arming glove, just for me. There are a few things which I still think need tweaking, but either didn't feel important enough to mention, or simply forgot, but overall, it is a very, very nice program. I can see that it will be very useful in trying out strategies and techniques. Only major problem I have is attempting to play both combatants to their full capability by myself. Once he gets the link-capability up and running, this will be an unparalleled piece of software... Get it while it's free, folks.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: WolfenI've got the sim, and I can vouch that it is very nice. I was thrilled when I saw that he'd put in arming glove, just for me. There are a few things which I still think need tweaking, but either didn't feel important enough to mention, or simply forgot, but overall, it is a very, very nice program. I can see that it will be very useful in trying out strategies and techniques. Only major problem I have is attempting to play both combatants to their full capability by myself. Once he gets the link-capability up and running, this will be an unparalleled piece of software... Get it while it's free, folks.

I've done all the fixes you *did* mention. Anything else can be tweaked while I wont on V3, so let me know whenever.

As for link capabilities.. hmm.. that's going to be a tricky one. The most likely thing that'll happen is that V3 will have a computer AI for you to fight against, and then V4 will have the matchmaking/link to other human players across IP feature.

I know that people are keen on both, but I think the AI will be easier, thus I'm happier to tackle it first :-)

As for having my babies... sure, why not. Although I should warn you, my wife is the jealous type :-)
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Furious D

Quote from: BrianL
As for link capabilities.. hmm.. that's going to be a tricky one. The most likely thing that'll happen is that V3 will have a computer AI for you to fight against, and then V4 will have the matchmaking/link to other human players across IP feature.

Pick up the DirectX SDK from Microsoft and use their DirectPlay.  Most of the work is done already.  If you've used a Microsoft SDK before, it's actually quite a bit easier than writing a challenging AI

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Furious DPick up the DirectX SDK from Microsoft and use their DirectPlay.  Most of the work is done already.  If you've used a Microsoft SDK before, it's actually quite a bit easier than writing a challenging AI

Actually, the IP linking isn't that hard, it's the redesign of the combat sim (which is 17,000 lines of code) to accommodate it that takes a lot of work :-)

I'll get to it, honest!

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Brand_Robins

Quote from: BrianLI've done all the fixes you *did* mention. Anything else can be tweaked while I wont on V3, so let me know whenever.

Gah! I can't wait for Jake to get back. I must have this now! Please, please, please!?
- Brand Robins

Furious D

Actually, the IP linking isn't that hard, it's the redesign of the combat sim (which is 17,000 lines of code) to accommodate it that takes a lot of work :-)

Heh, I'll give you that.  Hacking in stuff that wasn't an original design consideration can be a serious, serious pain.  I can imagine that alot of the code which would be expedient for a single computer combat sim could be a pain for a multiplayer version.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Brand_Robins
Quote from: BrianLI've done all the fixes you *did* mention. Anything else can be tweaked while I wont on V3, so let me know whenever.

Gah! I can't wait for Jake to get back. I must have this now! Please, please, please!?

Hmm.. well, I could theorteically email it I guess, all packaged up in its installer it's only about 700kb, but I don't really want to email it around lots of people (that costs me money). I could also theoretically put it on my webpage, but since I wrote it for Jake, it's really his decision and he might only want it hosted on his page (plus I pay for downloads from my page...).

So, no way springs to mind. I'm open to suggestions though :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Furious D

Heh, I'll give you that.  Hacking in stuff that wasn't an original design consideration can be a serious, serious pain.  I can imagine that alot of the code which would be expedient for a single computer combat sim could be a pain for a multiplayer version.

Thats right. Where as, on the other hand, the AI can be easily inserted - all I have to do is change each place where it pops up a decision prompt for the player to check if it's a human or AI, and if it's AI it goes off to a decision subroutine instead.

Easy, except for the actual algorithm that makes the decision, which is a lot of work, especially since it has to cope with all the different weapons etc.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Lance D. Allen

If what I've got is the final V2, I can e-mail it out to whomever wants it, with permission from you. It doesn't cost me anything.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: WolfenIf what I've got is the final V2, I can e-mail it out to whomever wants it, with permission from you. It doesn't cost me anything.

No, you have a v2 beta. I made a lot of fixes after that, and added some stuff.

However, if you don't mind we can still do this - I'll email *you* the file (that way I only have to send one copy), and if anyone wants it you can email it to them.

Get that guys - ask Wolfen for a copy, but wait a day or so because after I email it, my mail marshal will hold it for up to 24 hours before sending it. I hate this place! :-) In a week or 10 days, Jake will be back and will stick it up on the webpage anyway.

Wolfen: you can run the installer and it'll install over the top of the old one, no problems, however if you have created new fighters, back up the fighters.ini file from c:\program files\ros to somewhere else, then put it back after the install, otherwise the installer will replace it with the default list again.

Everyone Else: Get it from Wolfen (in 24 hours), and send me feedback if you like it or hate it. I'm not getting paid for this, so consider your comments payment :-) By the way - it only works with Windows 95 and later, and there is not a Mac or Linux version, although it you have a Windows emulator it should function properly I suppose. Sorry. Also, it'll look ugly if you don't have 16-bit color or better (although it'll work even with only 16 or 256 colors I guess, just look nasty).

Finally, if you find a bug (you shouldn't, touch wood) and want to send it to me, make sure you include a transcript of the battle showing where the bug occurred. In the options screen you can save the current battle to a .ros file (which is actually just a text file) or you could just copy/paste from the combat sim directly into your email.

Finally finally - what you'll get in your email is not the combat sim itself, but an installer. Just run it from wherever and it'll install the software.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Brand_Robins

Quote from: BrianLGet that guys - ask Wolfen for a copy, Get it from Wolfen (in 24 hours),

You guys both rule.
- Brand Robins

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Brand_Robins
You guys both rule.

That's true ;-)

By the way - I have never coded anyhting in my life that didn't have a hidden backdoor *somewhere*. Ten points for whoever can find it and actually manage to access it.

Just tell me where it is / what it does and I'll believe you :-)
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com