News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DNAwesome] Mechanics so far

Started by dindenver, June 12, 2008, 10:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dindenver

Hi!
  I am adding Grit to this Mechanic, to see how it works, check this post:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=26389.0
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

dindenver

Wil,
  Here is a snippet of mock actual play, let me know where you want to see it expanded:
We have a character, UberMan, he looks like this:
Uber Man
Super Strength (Power, Super, Physical)
X-Ray Vision (Power, Mental)
Observant (Ability)
Popular (Ability)
Smart (Ability)
Seeks Truthiness (Trait)
Seeks Fairness (Trait)
Protects all Equally (Trait)
Alter Ego (Mark)
Green Rocks (Weakness, Physical)

He has been following a trail that leads to Rex Ruthless, notorious supergenius and mad scientist.

Just when he thinks he has Rex cornered, Rex hits a button on his wrist band and the GM calls a Mental Challenge. The GM called the Arena, so the player gets to determine the Scope. He is worried what the GM has up his sleeve, so he selects a scope of Personal (no one is at risk, except Rex and Uber). No die will be rolled, it just a battle to see who can bring the most traits into play and the GM gets to go first.

GM: A cage falls from a hidden compartment in the hall above you. it is made of green rocks and that is the Trait Rex is using on his Turn
  Player: I use X-Ray vision to make sure that there are no hostages and maybe to see if I can find a way to lift this cage
  GM: Rex says, "There is no way to escape, I have thought of everything. There is even an emotional inhibitor built in that will prevent you from thinking any thoughts of escape, mwahahah (That is Rex's Super Genius Super Power)
  Player: I am boned he is 110 ahead of me and I can't rely on the dice to save me... I know! I'll spend a point of Grit and say, "I don't know who you tested this Inhibitor on, but my X-Ray vision has altered my brain waves. Every EEG I take comes out as twisted as your black soul." I'll use my Grit to cancel his Super Science.
  GM: Drat, OK, try this on for size, Rex says, "That may be so, but this should still make your thought processes slow..." (Rex Plays Invention, a Mental Power)

And the play continues like that until no one wants to/is able to add more Mental Traits, Abilities or Marks. Then the Traits are added up, die are rolled (except for battles of wills/personal stakes) and whoever has the highest total wins and determines how this momentous battle effects the world.

Does that make sense? Does it seem more crunchy with some mock play wrapped around it? Or less?
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo