News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Social Evening/LARP fueled by Indie?

Started by Big J Money, June 24, 2008, 01:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J Money

Brainstorm for a game I think might have both merit and an audience.

• Played in one evening [3-6 hours[
  • LARP inspired [Setting is on location, can be as simple as a home] (costume/props encouraged but absolutely unnecessary)
  • Clearly attainable gameplay goals [Mysteries to solve about other players?  A winner?]
  • Narrative goes where the players take it. [Not railroaded by the course of gameplay]

This is all for now.  Some of the inspiration comes from Dinner Murder Theatres and the White Wolf game Long Live The King.  I'm thinking, however, more along the lines of creating a unique story every time the game is played -- as opposed to playing the same plot in different ways each time.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried to implement or at least discussed how indie RPG ideas could benefit a game like this.  I'm leaning in the direction of a paranormal mystery or international spygames Setting.  Definitely some randomization of initial conditions, and likely pregenerated characters (though not necessarily, if I snag a great idea!)

-- John M.

Big J Money

Another theme idea I like is a murder and ghost story.  Players are murdered during the game, but they come back as ghosts and continue to play that way through hauntings.  Maybe different rules sets can be done for different settings: Modern, Roman, Medieval, Colonial, Roaring 20s.

Moreno R.

Hi, John!

The game "Until We Sink" should satisfy all your requirements. If you are searching for other examples, the blog Nørwegian Style is full of quick games that can be played "live" in a single evening (even if they don't all satisfy the other requirements)
Ciao,
Moreno.

(Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.)

Big J Money

Fantastic Moreno, thank you!  I will definitely play this and see what inspiration strikes.