News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New Spiritual Attribute: Help the GM.

Started by Jaif, July 21, 2002, 01:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaif

I'm sure many of you have seen this: people who can come up with 4 SAs cleanly, but can't get a good 5th.  This got me to thinking about options...

Remember how Amber gave points to characters who kept campaign logs, drew pictures, etc.  The stress was on substantial pieces that helped the GM, especially if they were things that could be accessed by the whole group.

Why not bring this to TROS.  GM-AID: Log - 0. At the beginning of each session, you award a point to the person for bringing a log of the prior session.  If it's a particularly long log, add 2 points. Of course, you can do something similar with other areas, I just happen to favor logs.

What'cha think?

-Jeff

Jake Norwood

I can think of many styles of play where that's a great idea. Playtest it.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: JaifI'm sure many of you have seen this: people who can come up with 4 SAs cleanly, but can't get a good 5th.  This got me to thinking about options...

Remember how Amber gave points to characters who kept campaign logs, drew pictures, etc.  The stress was on substantial pieces that helped the GM, especially if they were things that could be accessed by the whole group.

Why not bring this to TROS.  GM-AID: Log - 0. At the beginning of each session, you award a point to the person for bringing a log of the prior session.  If it's a particularly long log, add 2 points. Of course, you can do something similar with other areas, I just happen to favor logs.

What'cha think?

-Jeff

Not a bad thought. In fact, since Amber, every game I have run I have given a benefit to characters for doing a log or stories etc (check out my homepage, url below, for the plethora of really good stories I have had for my current D20 campaign).

How do you envision the character USING his points in this case? IN what situations can he use them, HOW can he use them (like luck, like passion or like the others), etc.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

I'd suggest using the points very much like Luck.

Best,
Ron

Mike Holmes

Call it a destiny. The character has a destiny to complete the log of the characters' journeys (or perhaps a single other character). It should, of course be written from the character's perspective, and be an actual in-game object.

I love the idea of the journal being stolen (only later to be recovered, spuring all sorts of action in between). Make sure that the "Map to the lost City of Gold" created from the verbal description of it's location from the old man who died shortly after recounting it to the players is in the journal. And the magic words that open the Vault of the Serpent Queen.

Then the player gets his destinly dice when trying to retrieve it. He also gets the dice to avoid croaking in general terms, until the journal is finished. Good life insurance policy.

Makes for a great finish to the game, as the player retires and hands over the journal to the royal librarian, securing the legend of the group's deeds safely for posterity.

Of course, no surprise that in the next game, the new characters have to get the book from the library so they can find those magic words, and refer to it's notes so that they can avoid the Serpent Queen herself.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jaif

I was intending to use'em exactly like luck, both in the "extra die" sense and the "get outta jail free" sense.

In my case, I have a very specific player in mind who I think could use these.  I wouldn't use me as the guinea pig, though, as I only play once a month.

The one thing I'm considering right now is making it 2 or 3 points for the log, rather than 1 or 2.

-Jeff