News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Combat system

Started by maov, August 10, 2008, 06:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maov

I have made a new game system, because i got endless tired of the regular ones and needed something that all my players would find enjoyable. They like combat tactics (with fatalities), flexible spells and flexible character creation so that was my "small" criteria for a game. I have tried to take all of this put it together in a simple package (*cough* 35 pages *cough*).
The reason i´m posting is that i need some feedback beside the players from some more experienced people who have tried different types of system and seen the good and the bad.
First the combat (Action) system is a bit different from the usual thing being a combination of cards, hex map and dice. I have tried searching the forums without success for anything similar and haven´t been successfull. What i need feedback is mostly the combat system:

• Do you think that having a fixed number of action cards is a problem, and rather state pr. round then turn
  • Do you have a link or name for any similar system
  • Is there anything that you have seen in similar system which broke them (movement, none humanoids attacks, distance attacks etc.)

You shouldn´t take the numbers to serious they are going to be changed and if you have some feedback on the other parts i would love to hear it also :).
http://www.itu.dk/people/maov/RulebookTmp.pdf

Vulpinoid

See if you can track down anything about White Wolf's "Streetfighter" Storytelling game.

It used a combination of cards, dice and a hex map. With characters learning specific manoeuvres and techniques that they could then write up as cards for quick access during play.

I played it a few times back in the mid 90's, and adapted it's combat system to a few other games. It took a little getting used to at first, but it was no slower than most other systems. And once [players got the hang of it, there was a lot of potential and some really cool combat ideas that developed out of it.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

maov

Quote from: Vulpinoid on August 10, 2008, 07:58:50 PM
See if you can track down anything about White Wolf's "Streetfighter" Storytelling game.

It used a combination of cards, dice and a hex map. With characters learning specific manoeuvres and techniques that they could then write up as cards for quick access during play.

I played it a few times back in the mid 90's, and adapted it's combat system to a few other games. It took a little getting used to at first, but it was no slower than most other systems. And once [players got the hang of it, there was a lot of potential and some really cool combat ideas that developed out of it.

V

I´ve looked at what i could find on the net, which is actually a lot so i guess they did something right with that system. It differs on some points from mine like: choosing 2+ actions before a turn and in my system movement is more dedicated (which have also left me with a, who is first to move problem into combat problem). I don´t particularly like combos and i guess am trying to keep stuff more simple in my case with less variarity in attacks.
I am gonna need to see if i can find it somewhere on ebay, which i think is going to be tough its age taking in consideration but many thanks for the tip.

Vulpinoid

It was just the first thing that came to mind...

...another possibility is the Alkemy series of miniatures rules produced by the company Kraken. They've only just started developing their system over the last year or so, but it looks like it's got some good potential as a card/dice/miniatures game.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

maov

Quote from: Vulpinoid on August 11, 2008, 08:00:28 PM
It was just the first thing that came to mind...

...another possibility is the Alkemy series of miniatures rules produced by the company Kraken. They've only just started developing their system over the last year or so, but it looks like it's got some good potential as a card/dice/miniatures game.

V

That system use almost exaclty the same type of system, just a little downscaled because it has more models i am defiantly gonna pick one of those babies up, brilliant. I never knew that there was so extremely many miniatures and rpgs lying around being published by tiny companies, its really not easy as a casual gamer to find this information, so thank you a lot Vulpinoid.

epweissengruber

I just saw "jap" used instead of "jab"

You might want to fix that.