News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Inheritance - High-Powered Heroes of Classical Antiquity

Started by SuperSooga, June 16, 2008, 07:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSooga

I can't help but feel Connections was the wrong place to put this, so for your general feedback consideration here is Inheritance!

Quote from: ChrisMcDee on June 11, 2008, 08:36:51 PM
Inheritance is a System and Setting that I've been collaboratively working on for some time now, but it's been sat on my back burner for some months. However, now that I have a bit of free time I'm hoping to heat it back up with a few playtests to remind me where the system needs to go next. Playtesters that want to try this game out with their own groups would be a fantastic bonus.

Jorng has stories of great heroes moving mountains, God Kings that shaped the empires of today and beings sent by wicked Gods to destroy the world as we know it. Some of these are little more than characters from folk tales but some of them are real and set to make their own legends. Those who are born with, or gain, this great power are known as Inheritors, but who or what exactly they inherit their abilities from will vary depending on who you ask.

Inheritance is based in an age of prophecies and legends. A land of Empires, mythical creatures and people ranging from humble slaves to god-like beings. Battles between vast armies of conflicting Empires happen alongside titanic clashes of hero and monster.

The players, alongside the Gamesmaster, create these heroes and live out their legends.

So the gist is characters that are effectively Superheroes in an original ancient, mythic setting taking inspiration from Greece, Egypt, Rome, Persia etc. but having a distinct flavour of its own. You won't find Gorgons and Minotaurs here but there's plenty of cool stuff. Mechanics use opposed dice pools depending on each party's Attributes, Abilities and Good Things, which are like small perks. If you beat an opponent's total you win, if you double it it's a Critical and something nasty usually happens. Everything is built off this simple core mechanic.

I particularly want someone to steal a chariot in one of my playtests so I can test those rules out, or sail off on a voyage so I can try out this nifty island generator I've found.

Without further delay here's the system document: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddmbxmt_08q2p48
and while the wiki for fluff lies incomplete it's worth reading up on the different nations and regions here: http://inheritance.orokos.com/Category:Nations

Well? Who wants to throw javelins at things and kick people down holes some time? I'm in #rpg-design on irc.magicstar.net if anyone feels like contacting me there. Any feedback is always welcome.

Seth M. Drebitko

Probably wont be able to do a play test but I will try and pick it apart and give a look over things as I have some time. Anything specifically about the system you are having troubles with?

Seth
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

SuperSooga

Nothing I'm really having trouble with at the moment, I'm just eager to move it on to the playtest stage. General feedback and comments are always useful and motivating. This isn't anything I ever plan to use for professional means, will always be a free system.

Seth M. Drebitko

Seems like a nice solid system I like the:

- Half steps between attributes
- The Mass combat rules are nice

The only thing that snagged me was that strength does not modify armed damage, or because I only had the time to skim I missed it. I know my group is looking to start a quick game up I will see if they would like to try yours out, can't make any promises though.

regards, Seth
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

SuperSooga

Yeah, Strength affecting armed damage is a tricky one and I've not really been able to come up with a way to impliment it that I'm happy with.

Note that there is a Good Thing or Combat Skill in there somewhere that's along the lines of "Character gains +1PL to damage on weapons, which may not exceed his Strength" which provides something of a bonus to stronger characters.