News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Agon] Rules question

Started by theranko, August 11, 2009, 08:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theranko

Hello,

I posted this question last week as a reply to an older topic, but it may have been lost in the shuffle.

During refreshment, does healing and sacrificing prevent a player from participating in challenges? In a recent game, the antagonist (who tends to be a rules lawyer) read the rules as saying "yes," while most of the players felt that he was incorrect. We ended up deadlocked and unable to proceed.

Which interpretation is correct?

Thanks.

Darren Hill

Ben Robbins

No -- heroes can participate in Refreshment another hero called, but that does not take up their Interlude action.

I can see how you could interpret it the other way ("Each hero can perform only one activity during the interlude"), but look at it this way: the hero who calls for refreshment gets more impairment removed than the heroes that accept the challenge. If participating in someone else's refreshment took up your action, who would ever accept? All heroes would be better just calling their own Refreshment and never participating.

Other heroes benefit from answering the challenge, but they may pay for it with Oaths.
Ben Robbins
Lame Mage Productions / Beast of Kolkoris free Agon adventure
Ars Ludi / game theory blog

theranko

Well, I'm with you guys, but the antagonist player will only be convinced by the designer, alas.

Noclue

Quote from: theranko on August 13, 2009, 04:18:51 PM
Well, I'm with you guys, but the antagonist player will only be convinced by the designer, alas.

"Designer not included"
James R.

Darren Hill

Those post contains some important words from the designer:

words to live by

John Harper

I officially endorse this thread, and everything Ben and Darren say about Agon, both now and into perpetuity.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!