News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Agon at GenCon

Started by red_herring, July 21, 2008, 05:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_herring

Anyone running Agon at GenCon this year? I'm planning to run Ben Robbins's excellent Temple of Hera and Beast of Kolkoris adventures for my group, but I wasn't sure whether there was any organized play to sign up for.

-phil

Ben Robbins

Ben Robbins approves of this plan.

I haven't looked closely at the schedule, but the "Gaming On Demand" area would probably be an excellent spot to look for some ad hoc Agon players. Not that I know where that's going to be...
Ben Robbins
Lame Mage Productions / Beast of Kolkoris free Agon adventure
Ars Ludi / game theory blog

John Harper

I will be at Games on Demand as much as possible, Thursday through Saturday. I probably won't be running Agon very much, but I would be an enthusiastic player. :-)
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

red_herring

I'm giving away a trophy to the player with the highest glory for our in-room game (unless I can coax Ben into running something for us in the Games on Demand area)... also posted a pic of the Agon minis and gameboard...

John Harper

Ben Robbins

Oh man, now we pretty much have to have an Agon tournament just to do justice to those trophies.

Pondering variables...
Ben Robbins

red_herring

John Harper

There is a serious drool problem over here.

These videos make me so happy.

cdr

Those are awesome trophies; there was serious buzz about them at the miniGPNW last weekend.

But why are there two trophies?  Surely only one person can be the best, so if there are two candidates, they must engage in struggle to prove who is better, as the gods demand?

Although it would be pretty entertaining if there were smaller trophies for all the smaller categories, like "best result", "most wounds inflicted in a single blow", etc.

If spending Fate disqualified a hero for the trophy, that might nicely solve the "burning through Fate because after all it's a one-shot" problem.  Ah!  Perhaps one trophy is intended for human heroes, and one for heroes with the blood of the gods in their veins.  Otherwise the d8 Name would be a huge advantage.

Also: <drool>

red_herring

One trophy is for the open gaming; I'm setting the other one aside for my in-room gaming group.

Whether it's a single session or Agon games on multiple days, the highest overall glory would walk away with the trophy. There's a one-shot scoring system on the resources page (http://random-average.com/Agon/OneShotScoring). Additional prizes are a great idea... maybe a Forge booth coupon or a Jason and the Argonauts DVD?

In any case, does anyone have a feel for the level of participation we'd get at GenCon?

-phil

Matt Wilson

Now that Gen Con is only days away, I'm making a list of games I so want to play. Agon is one.

Actually, that's as far as I've gotten with the list. But goddamn Agon is on it.

red_herring

Ben/John-

Is Agon on in the Games-on-Demand area? When are you available to run? I've got the trophy as well as the minis/board in the car...

-phil

Ben Robbins

So Phil, what was the outcome? Who hoarded all the glory and ran away with the trophy?

Give us the dirt!
Ben Robbins

red_herring

I ran Beast of Kolkoris for the in-room game with five players. It started slowly, and I was concerned the players were reluctant to embrace the competitive nature of Agon. That said, once they entered the labyrinth and the beasts showed up, it was every man for himself. In the end, the Glory count was exceptionally tight, but John "Sarpedon the Hunter" Miller walked away with the win. First prize was one of the trophies, and second place walked away with a bronze-colored dice set.

Unfortunately, the larger tournament in the Game-on-Demand area fell through--everyone had different schedules. We'll certainly have to get something on the docket early for next year. Any word on Sack of Lemotia?

-phil