News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Awesome Sorcerer quote

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, July 02, 2002, 01:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

The title of this post is kind of misleading. I don't want to get into a "Jack Chick bad!" discussion either, but anyway - in the newest Jack Chick essay about roleplaying games, I found the following quote:

Schnoebelen describes magic as a "kind of spiritual lust...It is, however subtle, an itch for power. Magic, at its root, is about power and about rebellion. It is about not liking how God runs the universe and thinking you can do a better job yourself."

I don't know about anyone else, but that quote gives me ideas for a dozen different Sorcerer characters.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Ben Morgan

Damn that's good. I wonder if it's possible to get Chick's permission to use it in ad copy. :)
-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light

Clay

Quote from: Amazing KreskinDamn that's good. I wonder if it's possible to get Chick's permission to use it in ad copy.

You want Schnoeblen's permission, since it's his quote. Chick ripped it off himself. Using a small portion like that might fall under the heading of Fair Use, anyway, so long as its properly attributed.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Ron Edwards

Hey,

It's an excellent quote. Although I'd gain great personal pleasure from quoting Schnoebelen in a Sorcerer publication, thus co-opting his words for purposes that he'd no doubt find distasteful, it wouldn't be very nice, so I'd probably not do it.

The hell of it is (no pun intended) that exactly what he says makes magic, which I consider to be imaginary, a powerful tool for stories which do address moral issues. In other words, his understanding of the matter stops short of its actual meaningful application.

Oh, for those of you who haven't seen the article, it's here:
http://www.chick.com/articles/dnd.asp.

Don't expect much; it's the usual mindless grunting regarding D&D and scripture and so forth. My favorite part is the "avoid the appearance of evil" reasoning, since D&D "certainly looks evil," according to Schnoebelen.

Best,
Ron

Fabrice G.

Hi,

a little of topic but...

As a french, I haven't been exposed to this kind of speach... scary.

Anyway, I think your right Ron, don't use these words.

Fabrice.