News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Meta] Am I doing something wrong in the way I post my ideas?

Started by Greg 1, August 01, 2008, 10:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg 1

Hi folks,

I posted three rather detailed settings to The Forge and got no comments at all.

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=26227.0
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=26228.0
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=26229.0

This makes me wonder if I'm going about things the wrong way here.  Suggestions on how I can get some feedback?

dindenver

Greg,
  The Forge is a strange animal. A couple of phenomenon are probably contributing to this issue:
1) A lot of people are focused on their own designs because it is Summer/Gencon season
2) On the Forge, opinions/sniping/short, shallow comments are generally discouraged. So you will find that most people only post on threads that they are personally interested in
3) The Forge is a lot less active than it used to be

That is not to say that there is anything wrong with your game or the Forge, just that you have to be patient and be careful to make posts that ask for a specific kind of feedback and that want to make the reader think, you know?

One perfect example where this can go awry is the Power 19 post. Power 19 is a great tool for game design, but it usually makes for a terrible post that does not ask any real questions (terrible in the sense that it is not very interactive or engaging).
  You might get more luck by making a short post that asks for very specific feedback. for instance, you could post about an unusual mechanic (like a fame mechanic or something that is not just Skill+Stat+die) and ask if it fits the genre/theme of your setting or if it has any statistical blind spots, you know?
  Anyways, good luck on your game man!
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

JustinB

Well, I'd say that you didn't really ask any questions or elucidate your reasons for posting the settings in the first place.
What kind of feedback are you looking for, exactly?
Check out Fae Noir, a game of 1920's fantasy. http://greenfairygames.com

Mike Sugarbaker

Hi Greg, and welcome.

JustinB is correct, if not hugely tactful, in what he says: you'll find that you do a lot better if you bring, say, a short snippet of one of your settings into a post here, and ask a specific question or two about just that section. The Forge is notoriously resistant to going off and reading long documents offsite, especially when they haven't been told what to look for.
Publisher/Co-Editor, OgreCave
Caretaker, Planet Story Games
Content Admin, Story Games Codex

Eero Tuovinen

To verify Dave's first point, it's really the most important one: I know for myself that I'm egregiously busy this time of the year, and have been for years. I'll be much more likely to enter into extended discussions during the winter months - this time of the year I'll only post on simple and straightforward issues.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Greg 1

Firstly, a big thanks to everyone for taking the time out to help the noob.

Quote from: dindenver on August 01, 2008, 11:59:39 AM
just that you have to be patient and be careful to make posts that ask for a specific kind of feedback and that want to make the reader think, you know?

Ah, that's hard.  What I am really looking for is suggestions for fleshing them out, as well as any comments people might have about anything that doesn't seem to make sense.

QuoteOne perfect example where this can go awry is the Power 19 post. Power 19 is a great tool for game design, but it usually makes for a terrible post that does not ask any real questions (terrible in the sense that it is not very interactive or engaging).

That's funny!  I only wrote a Power 19 for each of those games because I thought it might increase my chances of getting feedback here.

QuoteYou might get more luck by making a short post that asks for very specific feedback. for instance, you could post about an unusual mechanic (like a fame mechanic or something that is not just Skill+Stat+die) and ask if it fits the genre/theme of your setting or if it has any statistical blind spots, you know?

Hm.  I'm using GURPS rules and the settings are finished, at least until I decide to add or change things.  I don't really have any very specific questions beyond "where do the settings need to be fleshed out?" and "do you see anything that doesn't make sense?".  Maybe if I give myself time, I'll come up with more specific ones.

QuoteAnyways, good luck on your game man!

Thank you!  That was very informative!

Greg 1

Quote from: Mike Sugarbaker on August 01, 2008, 12:45:44 PM
Hi Greg, and welcome.

JustinB is correct, if not hugely tactful, in what he says: you'll find that you do a lot better if you bring, say, a short snippet of one of your settings into a post here, and ask a specific question or two about just that section. The Forge is notoriously resistant to going off and reading long documents offsite, especially when they haven't been told what to look for.

Ah!  Thanks.  That's important.  I can well understand why people are resistant to that.