News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New Poison'd PDFs

Started by lumpley, September 01, 2008, 10:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpley

Hey Poison'd people, the first edition PDFs are now online. Go back and download them afresh.

There's also a nice Poison'd character sheet here that you can use.

-Vincent

Yokiboy

Hello Vincent,

Is Poison'd still in "ashcan" status or not? I'm very interested in the game, but want a "finished" product, if that makes sense and no insult intended.

I love the character sheet by the way!

TTFN,

Yoki

lumpley

It is no longer an ashcan, it's finished.

-Vincent

Yokiboy

higgins

Is the "I'm attacked, attacker is losing and escalates, he's still losing and escalates, he escalates once more, winning, and I'm dead" issue resolved in the final product?

And I was wondering about these issues too:

Quote from: rafial on August 25, 2007, 06:14:10 PMAlso the statement "For your ship escaping another's pursuit, simply reverse these" doesn't seem to work in practice.  For example, I would conceive the first level of evasion being "Your ship escaping, versus the enemy keeping pace" which really doesn't read as any kind of "reversal" of the first stage of pursuit.
Quote from: Valamir on August 24, 2007, 12:18:40 PM3) The escalation for ship pursuit makes huge amounts of game mechanical sense, but unfortunately not much story sense.  "Captain we're just not fast enough to get within cannon range of her"..."Ok, bring us up along side then".  I fully embrace the idea of escalating from long range "safe" cannon fire, to the carnage of broadsides and then to the brutality of boarding...but from a story narrative perspective it seems rather off.

And are the pamphlets you can buy here from that latest .pdf?

Thanks. =)

lumpley

Quote from: higgins on March 30, 2009, 09:49:30 AM
Is the "I'm attacked, attacker is losing and escalates, he's still losing and escalates, he escalates once more, winning, and I'm dead" issue resolved in the final product?

Well, resolved in the sense that yes, that's how the rules work. You can get killed in a fight through no effort or choice of your own. Every fight might get out of hand, and fights are most dangerous when you're winning but you haven't yet won. This is true whether you started the fight or not.

If someone attacks you, mechanically you can always endure duress instead of fighting back, so you do have that much choice. However, I'm not promising that enduring duress will always be a choice you can stand to make. Furthermore, you don't get to go back and do-overs if a fight goes poorly for you against your expectations, so if you're like "if I'd known I was going to die, I'd've endured duress instead!" that's too bad for you.

I did change the rules for one ship pursuing another. Here they are:
Your ship pursuing another
For your ship escaping another's pursuit, simply turn these around.
1. Falling behind, vs engaging your quarry at its captain's choice of range; to
2. Foundering and losing your quarry, vs engaging your quarry at a range chosen at random; to
3. Foundering your ship to wear & breakage, vs engaging your quarry at your choice of range.
Escalating can mean driving harder before the wind; cutting sharper against the wind; making for fog, shallows or treacherous waters; settling in for a long hunt; testing your ship's masts and sails; or lightening your ship's load.

And are the pamphlets you can buy here from that latest .pdf?

Yes.

-Vincent

higgins

Quote from: lumpley on March 30, 2009, 11:18:15 AMIf someone attacks you, mechanically you can always endure duress instead of fighting back, so you do have that much choice.

Aha! I got from some advice of yours that enduring duress was just a way of gaining X-es for the person attacked before the fight begins, not something you can avoid the fight with. Thanks for elaborating on that! =)

lumpley

Well, do realize that enduring duress instead of fighting back is also going to get you killed. "I blow your brains out through the back of your skull." "I endure duress." That's a deadly wound, make a bargain or die.

-Vincent

higgins

Well, in gun fight you have no other damage but deadly, but in other forms of combat you're getting only a 1st level wound, right?

lumpley

Nope. Your attacker names the attack. If it's deadly, and you decide to endure it, you've taken a deadly wound. "I stab you between the ribs. / I cut your throat from behind. / I loop the rope twice around your neck and hoist you to the arm. / I smash your skull open with a belaying pin, and I don't stop until I see your pretty pink brains." "I endure duress." Deadly woundsville.

Those named 1st-level consequences are for when you DON'T endure duress, but instead DO fight back, and lose, and decide to accept your loss and not escalate. "I loop the rope twice around your neck and hoist you to the arm." "The hell you do! I fight back!" Now it's a fight, and the rules for fighting apply.

-Vincent