News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Townsfolk] Resolution: How can I use Wisdom and Youth points?

Started by chronoplasm, September 09, 2008, 04:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chronoplasm

OK, so heres my idea for resolution in my game Townsfolk.

Players start out each day with a certain number of cards in hand. Depending on what 'milestones' your character has listed, your character may get to draw extra cards when performing tasks with a certain keyword. For example, if your character has an education, you may get to draw an extra card for Ethos or Logos tasks such as public speaking.

When you begin a task, you draw a certain number of cards from the deck equal to the tasks difficulty and place them faced down in a task pile.

Each turn, you may reveal a card from your hand then reveal a card from the task pile. Add modifiers to the ranks of each revealed card, then discard the lower ranking card.

When there are no more cards left in the task pile, the task is complete.
When there are no more cards left in your hand, your character is exhausted.

I'm still trying to figure out how to work in modifiers that you add to different card suites.
I'm thinking characters should have one stat that can be added to hearts, another added to spades, etc.
I'm thinking maybe wisdom and youth points could be used for this.

If you missed my previous thread concerning chargen, character sheets have a certain number of 'milestones' representing events in your characters life that can either be checked or unchecked. Each checked milestone gives you a wisdom point, used for knowledge based skills and special abilities. Each unchecked milestone gives you a youth point, used for physical skills and combat abilities.
I have the broad idea, but I need to flesh this out and make it more specific.

Any suggestions?

dindenver

Hi!
I have been mulling this around for a while and I think I have a decent suggestions:
Youth: Spend a point to draw an extra card
Wisdom: Spend a point to discard a Task Card (thus shorting the reuired time to finish a task)
  What do you think?
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

chronoplasm

Good suggestion!

Actually, you just inspired the answer to a question I was about to ask in another thread:

How should special abilities work in my game? The answer: Spend Youth or Wisdom points like MP!

Brute Force Spend 1 Youth point: Increase the rank of a club card by 3.
Vigor Spend 1 Youth point: Increase the rank of a diamond card by 3.

Mow the Lawn Spend 4 Youth points: You may attack up to four different monsters simultaneously using the same card.

What do you think?

dindenver

Kevin,
  I like it. It seems to fit the whole genre. Just make sure that the addition of this mechanic doesn't preclude the players' reliance on each other, you know?
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

chronoplasm

Oh, of course!

I'm thinking that these points would only be spent to play the abilities of your occupation as well as some basic abilities shared by all. These abilities would only cover your specialization.
I'm thinking that Youth points would be spent for more combat-oriented abilities while Wisdom points would be spent for more support-oriented abilities.