News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Maiden Saga RPG

Started by Baron Morgan, September 05, 2008, 11:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Morgan

Hi all,

I'm a writer by profession but a relative newcomer to RPG design and would appreciate advice and comments on the game I'm developing to go with my fantasy erotica series The Maiden Saga. I wrote the colour text and some of the supporting material for Profantasy's Dying Earth RPG and have been playing it online since it first came out, so I do have some familiarity with RPGs, but I also have a great deal to learn. If anybody would like to have a look at the first draft of the game, it can be downloaded at my Yahoo Group -

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/maiden_saga

It's a little difficult to formulate precise questions until I've begun to get feedback, but my main concern at present is how players would want to interact around the table.

Thank you,

Peter (Baron Morgan)

Baron Morgan

I now have my first piece of feedback (below in red) and so would like to ask a more specific question. Given that this is a rich scenario, having already been developed across four novels, do you prefer simple or elaborate rules?

Greetings, gentlefolk.

To throw some 'armchair' feedback out onto the list, in hopes of
starting conversation...

I ought to point out, first of all, that I have not (yet) read the
original books.

First, a long winded question. It would appear that this is a 'sit-
com' game rather than a grand scenario game. That is, one places the
player characters in a setting and turns them loose to create what
mischief they might, rather than scripting a specific path for them
to follow. Is that the general idea?

Second, a modest suggestion. One possible resource (if this is not
already planned) might be lots of pre-planned NPC templates? Not
necessarily in the book itself, but through a community like this
one. The RAW would seem to have a lot of 'chance' encounters built
in so something to provide a generic back-alley thug or an unexpected
elite guard would be of great service to a hard-working GM!

Third, heartfelt praise. The examples are of great amusement and
utility! I had rules questions before reading them...but not
afterwards. They set the tone beautifully.

Dementia Games

Being new, I'm not sure how things are normally done here, but I would suggest that you post some information here, at least the basics, about the game - who are the characters, what do they do, what's the backdrop, etc.  Suggestions on system crunchiness and the like are difficult to make without more information.  You'll probably get better responses, as well, by providing that information here rather than linking to another site.  I went there quickly, but all I saw was a series of messages from the boards there.  Just some suggestions, anyway.  Give some idea of what you want the game to do, what the players should be experiencing, etc.  I was just recently asked that myself, which is why I'm suggesting it to you.

Baron Morgan

Thanks, that's good advice. The full first draft can be downloaded from the Yahoo Group, but I appreciate that 30,000 words is a lot to get through.

The basic system has proved to work quite well in any case, although there are still improvements to be made. Unfortunately it's impossible to present even the core rules for discussion without a proper understanding of the background as the rules were written for an existing creation rather than the other way around (which I imagine is far commoner).

I try to put a condensed version together.