News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Lead or Gold

Started by Bailey, July 07, 2002, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bailey

Played Lead or Gold a couple of day ago.  It went smooth but I'm wondering a few things.

Is there anything in the rules that supports this being in space?  My group just did it in a modern setting after a brief science fiction go at it.  Nothing seemed to be hurt at all.

Secondly we had a hard time making our characters different without any sort of niche in effectiveness set out for us.  I'm not sure if that's the intent of the game, to make a bunch of buddies who are roughly equal in what they do.

In any case we had plenty of fun with it running as a buddy game without any sort of enforced niche protection.  Tasks got performed by whoever wanted to rather than whoever was more capable.

And we all got plenty drunk while playing it even though that wasn't supported by the ruleset.  I guess it's just something about pirate gaming that encourages imbibing.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

Jared A. Sorensen

You played LoG? Wow.

The "...in space" thing really doesn't exist in the game as written. LoG was...I dunno. Just something to do. I chopped it up, modified it and added some new rules that may wind up in Ars Mechanica some day.

As for the "characters being the same," it (originally) was a "yer pirates in space" game and I saw no reason for discrete "Roles." What I wanted was a general "how capable you are" stat and then descriptive components that helped define your character's personality -- the stuff he or she cares about. Sounds like that didn't come through.

Oh well.  Cool on you for trying it out! I'm happy to hear it went smoothly... :)
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com