News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Grey Ranks] One-Shot - Chapters 2, 5, 8

Started by WildElf, September 09, 2008, 06:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildElf

So, I'm planning on facilitating a One Shot of Grey Ranks at an upcoming Minicon in the bay area.  I read One Shot Observations which was helpful to know it would work, but the book suggests using chapters 2, 5, and 8, which I'd like to do for a nice spread, hopefully leaving room for a chapter 10 wrap up.

Is there anything else I can do that would help? I'm especially wondering about the jumps from chapters.  Like perhaps forcing the players to cross off either a reputation of Symbol die between chapters (or perhaps just after Chapter 5). I don't want things to be too easy.  Is it fine to leave it as is?  Has anyone done this chapter spread?

Jason Morningstar

There's a bit in the book about how to do this, but the important things are to mechanically advance the characters when appropriate (certainly after chapter 2 if you play that one) and to read the previous/intervening Radio Lightning broadcasts so everybody has some context.  Spend a moment talking about what your crew is doing in each of the skipped chapters.  If it is the first time you've played, it's actually easier to play three connected chapters - 5,6 and 7 is a good set.  Playing 2/5/8 gives the game a real snapshot feel - moments in time, somewhat disconnected, before/during/after.  You get more of a cogent story with 5/6/7, and can start play with the reputations and Thing Held Dear already advanced.  That's my preferred convention mode. 

Jason Morningstar

Oh, one more thing - don't forget to move the characters off the initial grid positions when you start.  If you want a more chaotic, hazardous game, move them all twice or put them directly into corners.  The grid is designed so that situation elements generally reflect the grid position, so you'll be drawing from more in-your-face elements as you approach corners anyway. 

WildElf

Right, the grid positions I did catch.  I think I'll follow your advice and go with connected chapters instead.  I wanted to do a snapshot, but since I haven't played a whole lot and I expect most if not all the players to be completely new, it sounds like connected chapters is the way to go.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out that section in the book again now that I have a solid picture of which direction to go.

Jason Morningstar

Page 78 is what you want.  Have fun!  Let me know how it goes.