News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

THE 3 Rs: READ THE RULES 'RONG?

Started by AXUM, October 03, 2008, 07:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AXUM

HELLO AGAIN!

I was perousing the Compel & Tag rules & believe I'm making a mistake, let's see.

A PC has this Aspect:

"When nervous, I stutter"

I always compelled it for a +2 Shift in Difficulty (sorta like an "inverse aspect invocation", but instead of giving him a reroll or +2 bonus, I would make it be more difficult, thus the +2 shift penalty),  to any Rapport/Social interaction roll when he would be put in a tense situation. 

Is this wrong? 

Should I compel him instead to simply FAIL in his interaction? 

Or would this be treated differently?

Thanks
Ax

Mel White

It looks like you are using the Aspect incorrectly.  The aspect should not increase the difficulty of the skill roll.  The player tags an aspect to re-roll or the add +2 to the roll+skill value. 

However, if the stuttering PC was confronting an NPC--for example the PC's Rapport versus the NPC's Resolve--then that NPC could tag the stuttering aspect (with the Fate Point going to the PC) in order to gain a +2 to the NPC's Resolve roll, effectively increasing the difficulty for the PC by 2.

For compels, offering a Fate Point in exchange for a failed social interaction is ok, but would be stronger if the aspect leads to some sort of misunderstanding that then causes problems for the character.  So it's not just failure; it's complications!

Mel
Virtual Play: A podcast of roleplaying games
http://virtualplay.podbus.com

AXUM

HELLO 'GAIN!

Thank you for the very enlightening answer!  Now I know what EXACTLY to do with compels (YAY)!!!

Th' Ax