Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:02:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 82 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: THE 3 Rs: READ THE RULES 'RONG?  (Read 3198 times)
AXUM

« on: October 03, 2008, 03:31:22 AM »

HELLO AGAIN!

I was perousing the Compel & Tag rules & believe I'm making a mistake, let's see.

A PC has this Aspect:

"When nervous, I stutter"

I always compelled it for a +2 Shift in Difficulty (sorta like an "inverse aspect invocation", but instead of giving him a reroll or +2 bonus, I would make it be more difficult, thus the +2 shift penalty),  to any Rapport/Social interaction roll when he would be put in a tense situation. 

Is this wrong? 

Should I compel him instead to simply FAIL in his interaction? 

Or would this be treated differently?

Thanks
Ax
Mel White

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:43:19 AM »

It looks like you are using the Aspect incorrectly.  The aspect should not increase the difficulty of the skill roll.  The player tags an aspect to re-roll or the add +2 to the roll+skill value. 

However, if the stuttering PC was confronting an NPC--for example the PC's Rapport versus the NPC's Resolve--then that NPC could tag the stuttering aspect (with the Fate Point going to the PC) in order to gain a +2 to the NPC's Resolve roll, effectively increasing the difficulty for the PC by 2.

For compels, offering a Fate Point in exchange for a failed social interaction is ok, but would be stronger if the aspect leads to some sort of misunderstanding that then causes problems for the character.  So it's not just failure; it's complications!

Mel

Virtual Play: A podcast of roleplaying games
http://virtualplay.podbus.com
AXUM

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:31:57 PM »

HELLO 'GAIN!

Thank you for the very enlightening answer!  Now I know what EXACTLY to do with compels (YAY)!!!

Th' Ax
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: