News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Hardened Heroes & Fiendish Foes] Power 19

Started by visioNationstudios, October 06, 2008, 11:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visioNationstudios

I've been following these forums for quite awhile, but have recently turned the attention of some in my company to these pages and articles, and have begun walking them through some of the processes and activities suggested.  One such step was to attempt a Power 19 on our newest game, which we hope to have completed by the end of the year.  My own goal was simply to use it to gauge our progress, but those who participated in the process asked that I post our list for discussion and feedback.  And so here we have it.  Comments, questions, criticisms, and encouragement are all welcomed:

1. A steam-pulp noir world where players take up the roles of common citizens turned heroes.  Emphasis is on developing a story through actual roleplaying, not "roll"playing, and the creativity to develop your character lies in the hands of the players.

2. Serendipitous events bring together dissimilar characters into a world of intrigue, mystery, and adventure.  The players protect the United Republic of America, and the world, against villainy, in all of its forms.

3. Players partner with the Narrator to develop a cinematic story that is both entertaining and action-packed. The Narrator unfolds plot points with which the players then take to weave the fabric of the story.

4. An alternate world setting based in the 1930s, where gasoline was never developed as a fuel source.  Steam is still the primary source of power, and as such, has been developed beyond the typical technology of the day.  Fusing historical fact with a slight sci-fi feel creates a unique Steam Pulp setting that encourages players to think and act outside the box.

5. HH&FF encourages, and to some degree, demands that the player takes a hands-on role in their character's life, from birth until present.  Randomness is at a minimum, and every decision made helps to shape the character into a unique presence in the game world.

6. The game demands participation and interaction in the roleplaying experience.  As such, one who simply toddles around waiting for combat will find themselves falling behind the pack in development and level.  Alternately, one who consistently plays their character well, and does their best to engage in the storyline and with other characters, will find themselves highly rewarded.

7. The advancement system (MAX) rewards roleplaying over combat experience.  While there are 3 possible motes for combat in any given session, the opportunities for a more interactive roleplayer totals into the 20s.  A good roleplayer can easily walk away with 6+ motes on any given night (without combat).  One who is not so stellar could see themselves receive 1 or 2 instead.

8.  To keep stability and the story flowing, the Narrator has the final say in their world.  They may call for rolls if conflict or trouble arises in-game.  Out of game, the players defer to the Narrator on all decisions.

9.  Roleplaying and interaction is almost the sole way to improve your character.  This answer is mostly covered in the above two points.

10.  When situations arise that cannot be easily played out through basic interactions, rolls are called for.  Most situations require a percentage roll (stats, skills, to hit, etc), but sometimes other dice rolls are required (damage and initiative).

11.  Rolls are necessary whenever an uncertain situation requires resolution.  The goal is to be quick with the mechanics, and to strive to maintain story development above the roll-of-the-dice.

12.  Skill and Stat percentages have the potential to improve through active use.  Just like the exercise of muscles, if one does not practice a skill, one cannot expect to get stronger in said skill.  Successful rolls on any Skill or Stat can be marked to roll on for improvement at the end of the night.

Experience is earned by gaining what is known as "Motes".  These are awarded in an Oscar-like fashion at the end of each session, with both the GM and the players having a responsibility to hand out the rewards.  Earning motes will eventually gain characters new levels, with which they will progress through their careers.

13.  Motes earned are mostly attained by well-played interaction, which further solidifies the need for the players to work together in weaving the plot of the story.

14.  We want the players to feel as if the world is actually alive and breathing, with their characters as a (potentially) integral part of it.  While we certainly hope that they feel a sense of accomplishment, they may also just as easily experience heartbreak, joy, frustration, pride, or even a deep sense of loss.  This further pulls the players into the world that the characters live in.

15.  The areas that receive the most emphasis are twofold.  First, creation and development of characters are crucial in helping players fall deeply and fully into the world.  Because of this, much time and pages are devoted to this concept.  42 careers are possible to help fill out the entirety of the world.  Players decide on skills learned as a child and as they grow up that have lead them to the place that they are now.

Second, the setting itself is an amalgam of two unique genres – Steam Punk and Pulp Fiction – both which we believe haven't been tapped to the extent that they could be.  Painting the picture of an historic America (and the world beyond) with the twist of advanced technology that never was, provides an intriguing backdrop for players to immerse themselves.

16.  The setting of the world is entirely against normal stereotypes of this era, and the steam genre.  Instead, it focuses on our own creative vision of what the world could have been.  We're excited to see how the players grab ahold of this concept and run with it.

17.  Many games are mechanics-driven, and do very well for themselves, but the settings are not believable, or the characters are not made alive and real to the players.  Then, there are many games in which one can roleplay to their heart's content.  But when it comes to character development or conflict resolution, they fail miserably at having an effective system with which to do so.  What we hope we have accomplished is tying together a world where one feels utterly immersed in the story, and can often avoid combat completely.  But, when conflict does arise, the mechanics are solid and do the system justice to carry out their designed tasks and then move on to the development of the plot.

18.  Once the book is released in PDF form, we will pursue our normal avenues of POD.  After that, we will strive to reach as many players as possible, and attempt to get the books in their hands.  Whether that be from Cons, store demos, online sales, or sales right off of store shelves, we want HH&FF to be available to them.

19.  We hope to target lovers of noir, B&W films, and anyone who wishes they were alongside Bogart in his time.  We also want to tap into the large and quickly-growing Steampunk following that is currently experiencing quite a surge of activity.  And then, just anyone who wants to take in their fill of a world lost to the past, yet pointing to the future.
-Anthony Anderson-
-Partner, visioNation studios-
Classifieds

hoefer

Quote from: visioNationstudios on October 06, 2008, 11:59:58 PM
Second, the setting itself is an amalgam of two unique genres – Steam Punk and Pulp Fiction – both which we believe haven't been tapped to the extent that they could be.  Painting the picture of an historic America (and the world beyond) with the twist of advanced technology that never was, provides an intriguing backdrop for players to immerse themselves.

19.  We hope to target lovers of noir, B&W films, and anyone who wishes they were alongside Bogart in his time.  We also want to tap into the large and quickly-growing Steampunk following that is currently experiencing quite a surge of activity.  And then, just anyone who wants to take in their fill of a world lost to the past, yet pointing to the future.

I wanted to give you my reaction, but it is important you understand where I'm coming from.  I run Whole Sum Entertainment, we produce a Victorian Era RPG that takes place on Century Earth -a world effected by time anomalies.  My game is very rich with real history, period lore, and Victorian Fiction.  The game (with its in-depth invention rules) can be played as Steam Punk, but we rarely use this as a selling point and I'll tell you why...

When I began this endeveor 5 years ago (...or more -damn...) there were only a few games out on the market that dealt with the steam era, or the pulp genre.  I had this great idea that producing a game that highlighted these themes, was well-written, and well-designed would be a grand slam.  As I got going, steam era and pulp games began dropping out of the sky like rain in a hurricane (and a lot of them are excellent products).  Over and over when I talked to "industry insiders" about my game they would interrupt right off the bat and say, "This isn't another Steam Punk game is it?"  When I presented the game at cons for demos people would ask, "Is this one of those Steam Punk games?"  The point is, that the more I looked into it, the more had already been done with this type of setting.  I still feel I have a unique product, in that, my game is more enriched with real history and inspired more directly by a massive array of literature from the time than any other game of its kind -but its still a product aimed at a sub-group (Victorian/Pulp Enthusiasts) of a sub group (RPG Gamers).  I have demoed this to hundreds of people and I'm still only getting about 3 downloads of my free rules/suplements a day.

Just know that this is not going to be the "maverick" game you might have thought it was.  You're up against a lot of competition (including me :-).  Most of the answers you gave on the 19, were similar to what everyone else always says (even though they may be true for your design, etc.).  You have got to find some greater source of innovation/nuance then what you've listed or else you have to prepare for a very slow and steady climb toward recognition/success (or God for bid, failure) -this is where I'm at...

Take this all with a grain of salt, I am not encouraging you to abandon the project.  Just know that the market is nearly flooded in this genre and standing out as an Indie producer will be tough.  Good luck.

Louis Hoefer
www.wholesumentertainment.com

visioNationstudios

I definitely thank you for the thoughts, though I hope that doesn't necessarily hold true for us.  We seem to already have a following pushing for us to get this project done, including a couple dozen people who are essentially following us to every convention just so they can play the latest development.  We have 4 playtest groups lined up across the country, and may have more before the book is actually ready for them to test with next month.  We have a few customers who are already planning to write supplements to the game as freelancers.  And even a brick & mortar game store owner who says he's been watching our progress for the last 6 months and will immediately start carrying the book once it's available.

I honestly don't know what's "typical" for the indie industry regarding hype for a new game, but at least for us, this is huge.  I know many posts on these forums tend to temper my enthusiasm with reality, so I wouldn't mind if someone let me know how standard or abnormal this kind of pre-beta excitement really is.
-Anthony Anderson-
Classifieds

Vulpinoid

Well that's certainly pre-empted "Generation of Fire", my own setting with a Steam-Noir aesthetic (an alternate reality "Film-Noir" world where steam remained the dominant source of power).

It'll be interesting to see where your team takes this concept. I was aiming more toward a group of "Robert L. Ripley"-style adventurers (with a bit of Indiana Jones thrown in), these characters would delve into the strange and bizarre phenomena around the world, caught up in intrigues far beyond their control. To survive, they would make use of the secrets they uncover in their travels; to get ahead in the world they'd have to face moral dilemmas about changing cultural paradigms and advancement at the sake of history.

At least I can be glad there is a major point of difference in the fact that your game doesn't use Tarot Cards as it's primary mechanic.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

visioNationstudios

Looks like we've got enough of a difference to each have a bit of a unique niche.  We were originally looking at an Indiana Jones adventure style, but realized there were more than enough Pulp era games out there like that (Two Fisted Tales, among others).  So we're shooting for a bit more of a gritty, darker pulp.  And less over-the-top, bizarre phenomena, but rather a world where a technological boom has provided a means for both virtue and villainy to attempt to "get ahead".  We deal a bit with the repercussions of such attempts.
-Anthony Anderson-
Classifieds

hoefer

Quote from: visioNationstudios on October 16, 2008, 10:33:40 AM
I honestly don't know what's "typical" for the indie industry regarding hype for a new game, but at least for us, this is huge.  I know many posts on these forums tend to temper my enthusiasm with reality, so I wouldn't mind if someone let me know how standard or abnormal this kind of pre-beta excitement really is.

It does sound encouraging for you.  I (like yourself) have no idea how to measure the predicted success of book from the hype before hand (if any of you successful guys want to chime in here it would be great). 

My book was due out this month, but misfortune and a wee bit of distraction is pushing it back to next month (It is fully written, but I decided a few months ago to over haul its layout and adjust its visual quality/organization).  I've had a few inquiries about it.  I've sold a meager ammount of my demo books (that have the basic rules, restricted character generation, and a nice starting adventure).  I have presented games at several cons over the last few years with lots of positive feedback and many soldout events.  My free quickplay rules get downloaded about 2-3 times a day on average.  Does this mean the project will be a success?  I got no clue... 

The world is a big place and the RPG market is itty-bitty, the pulp/steam age RPG market is even smaller and currently overflowing with product.  My company's mind set is that our products will be produced well, stocked lightly, remain available indefinitely, and be represented at any con we can afford to get a person to.  Hopefully (if my product is really good) that will be enough to be successful (on a "part-time-income" level) within about a decade...  Maybe...  Hopefully...  ...It's a fun hobby anyhow...   ...better than spending money on drugs, isn't it?...  ...isn't it?.... (LOL)

Louis Hoefer
www.wholesumentertainment.com