News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

SaS (Saints and Sinners: problem with sliding attributes)

Started by Seth M. Drebitko, October 16, 2008, 08:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth M. Drebitko

I have GaC pretty well situated now I want to start working on my rules light/larp version of the game. My goal is to create a system that promotes "character" driven action by making a characters primary attributes sliding gauges where one end will be a virtue and the opposing end will be a vise. The guage on either side goes up to five but both sides added together may never equal greater than five. The problem I am now having is how to handle the sliding of these traits quickly without to much record keeping but to also take into consideration the characters actions?
For now I am thinking either points earned after each action which would push the favor one way or another and when a spill over occurs the trait goes up on one side and down on the other. My other thought is that a check could be made each time the charcter acts beyond their standard or slide in the correct direction.
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

Daniel Yokomizo

For a LARP version why not use labeled tokens of different colors (e.g. poker chips). For example Timmy has two black tokens of Anger and three white tokens of Peacefulness, he does a violent action and you ask him "Timmy, that action worths three Anger tokens, how many do you have?" Timmy shows you two, so you trade with him another Anger token for one of his Peacefulness white tokens.

On a side note what is the purpose of the slide if players can act as the slider was higher than they have? If Timmy can always do actions more violent than his current slide, why bother?

Vulpinoid

Simple option...

Since the opposing pairs can never have scores higher than five, use a d6.

If someone acts in a way that furthers a specific virtue or vice, roll a d6. If the die result is higher than their current value in the virtue or vice related to the action, their score goes up by 1. If not, it stays static.

If a modification would push a virtue-vice total to 6 or higher, then the opposite value in this pair drops by 1. It will keep virtue-vice pairs hovering at around 2-3 on each side of the scale for most balanced characters. Certain effects might come into play if players get overbalanced in a specific direction, bonus to resolve conflicts if "Peacefulness" rating is 4 or higher, bonus to damage if "Violent" rating is 4 or higher.

It only takes an extra die rolled during the character's action. Using a d6 of a different colour would be perfect for this.

Just an idea.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Vulpinoid

Sorry...just re-read that this is for a LARP/Light version of the rules.

In which case it might be better to use a stripped down deck of cards. Or maybe you could halve the face value of the card...an even card more than double the relevant virtue or vice, increases the trait associated with the action, while an odd card more than double reduces it's opposite by a degree.

Again, if this pushes the total of a virtue-vice pair beyond five, then the opposite is reduced by a degree.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.