News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[PTA Hack] Fanmail as Trust

Started by BlackSheep, October 22, 2008, 07:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSheep

This came up in a discussion on RPGnet about running a "One of us, one of them" Heroes game, and I thought I'd share.

For those who don't watch the show, the secret agency that investigates and controls superhumans operates in two-person teams, with one super-powered agent and one normal agent in each team.  The key element is that the partners have to rely on each other, but can't entirely trust each other.

Naturally this led me to thinking about how Trust works in Mountain Witch, where you give other players points they can use to help or hinder you.  Then I realised that with some minor houserules and a recolouring, Fanmail could do the same thing in PTA.

Here's what I'd change:

1. Fanmail is now called Trust.

2. You can only award Trust to your partner.  You can only receive Trust from your partner.

3.  You can only spend Trust to add cards to your partner's hand in a conflict, add cards to the Producer's hand in a conflict against your partner, or introduce your Protagonist into a scene that already includes your partner.

If you wanted to keep regular Fanmail, you could have Trust as an addition instead of a replacement.  Say, for every two Audience points you'd normally generate, you instead generate one Audience and one Trust.  In a two-Protagonist game it wouldn't make much difference, of course.