News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Triumph System -- please give feedback

Started by vgunn, November 06, 2008, 12:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soundmasterj

I think you are going at it from the wrong direction. Instead of thinking about what some dice might do, one might think about what kind of play is intended and try creating mechanics accordingly.
Don´t throw dice and look where they land. Get your goals straight and see how to accomplish them. Of course, dice may give you an inspiration, but a mechanic as weird as yours sounds like you should focus it down for a very special case.

Why not just take a generic variant of any of the systems currently out there? There´s nothing wrong with adding XdX, roll under or whatever.
Jona

vgunn

Quote from: soundmasterj on November 07, 2008, 12:50:34 PM
JBMannon: what I would suggest is that when you succed with a high talent, you succed big time. Ie., on a succes, someone with Talent 1 may beat his opponent up. Someone with Talent 5 makes him explode/an eternal slave/dead without anyone noticing.It is a VERY specific system pretty unfit for general resolution, but if applied correctly, there´s a lot of potential, I think.

So Success scales with Talent. I like is idea. One success for a low Talent rating is much less powerful than one success for someone with a high talent rating.

Here is another thing I was thinking that the system offers:

Character A with a BLADES talent of 2 swings and hits his opponent's neck (rolling a 6,3) getting 3 successes--one more than is needed. Character B with a BLADES talent of 6 swings and hits his opponent's neck (rolling a 1,6,4,6,3) getting 5 successes--three more than is needed.

Character A can apply the 6 to Confidence, Trust or an additional point of damage. Say a short sword has a threat rating of 6. With one success 1X6 the short sword is 6. Adding the bonus point for rolling a 6, it now becomes 2x6=12.

Character B can apply the two 6s to Confidence, Trust or additional points of damage (or even refreshing the Talent since he rolled a 1). Say a short sword has a threat rating of 6. With three success 3X6 the short sword is 18. Adding bonus points for rolling two 6s, it now becomes 5x6=36. Or Character B could split the sixes, puting one into the Confidence pool and the other is applied to the short sword 4x6=24.

vgunn

Quote from: soundmasterj on November 07, 2008, 03:12:55 PM
I think you are going at it from the wrong direction. Instead of thinking about what some dice might do, one might think about what kind of play is intended and try creating mechanics accordingly.
Don´t throw dice and look where they land. Get your goals straight and see how to accomplish them. Of course, dice may give you an inspiration, but a mechanic as weird as yours sounds like you should focus it down for a very special case.

You bring up very valid points.