News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forge Midwest 2009

Started by Willow, November 07, 2008, 01:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nev the Deranged

How early do you recommend getting a reservation?

Peter Nordstrand

Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Willow

Peter-

You're correct.  Good thing the actual reservation is for that weekend the 10th to the 12th, not the dates I mentioned.

Larry L.

They're adding a bar? That would be very cool.  I think some sort of non-gaming lounge to hang out in would improve the meet-and-greet aspect a bunch. (The availability of booze is a considerably less important factor.)

Ron Edwards

Hi everyone,

At long last, the room bloc is secured and the meeting room(s) reserved!

Best, Ron

Nev the Deranged

Excellent! So... would now be the appropriate time to make a reservation? I always say I'm going to do it early, and I always procrastinate until the last second. I'm stupid like that. =\

Ron Edwards

I don't know what to tell you. I guess the rooms are available to be reserved; at least, the bloc has been authorized through my credit card. Whether you should do it now, later, or what, I dunno - up to you.

Best, Ron

Nev the Deranged

I guess I'm asking if there is some specific way in which one should go about that. Or does one just call them up and say "I'd like to reserve a room in the Forge Midwest bloc"?  I guess the chances of someone trying to gank our bloc are slim. I just... well, I usually end up just taking floorspace in someone else's room, so I never deal with the actual hotel end. =\

But, if all I have to do is call and ask, I can handle that. I'm resourceful an' shit.

Ron Edwards

To the best of my knowledge, and bear in mind that I have not received explicit instructions, you call and ask. That's how it worked for me last year.

Best, Ron

Nev the Deranged

Cool. Thanks, I'll get right on it. I apologize for my ignorance ^_^

Finarvyn

Not to be too dense, but is there a webpage or some such that gives more information about Forge Midwest?

* Is it a gaming-only affair, or will there be vendors for the games represented?

* Is there a pre-set schedule or is it just a spontaneous game breakout session?

* Is it expected that one be familliar with certain of the games discussed on the Forge, or are newbies encouraged to show up?

I'll confess that I was totally unaware of this until I happened upon this thread, and am curious....
Marv (Finarvyn)
Sorcerer * DFRPG * ADRP
I'm mosty responsible for S&W WhiteBox
OD&D Player since 1975

Clinton R. Nixon

Marv,

I haven't been before, so I don't have the inside scoop, but I don't think you need to know any particular game. It's a time for fun and learning. I'll be there with D&D (pre-1980) in hand and adventures prepped!

- Clinton
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

buzz

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on January 27, 2009, 03:08:06 AMI'll be there with D&D (pre-1980) in hand and adventures prepped!

Am I allowed to show up and demand you run a game for me, all drooly fanboy-like?
A.k.a., Mark Delsing

Ron Edwards

Marv,

It's not so much a convention as a role-playing, gaming get-together. People may sell their games as independent publishers (in a minimally-organized fashion), but anyone who does so is merely another con-goer like anyone else. There's very little scheduling, and the basic idea is to be ready to play whatever interests you at the moment, and to bring something to introduce to others if you want to. Socializing, eating, and drinking are a high priority too.

It'd be great to see you there if you can make it. This is its fourth year, and you can find all the threads about past events in this forum.

Best, Ron

Nev the Deranged

Ok, Juli booked us a room, and says that the internet booking rate is actually about a buck cheaper than the reserved-block rate. So, do with that what you will.

We could use a few roomies to defray the cost. No snorers, please, unless you enjoy being suffocated with a pillow in the middle of the night.

I have just listened to the ep of Theory from the Closet in which Clyde whines about not gaming enough between interviews at cons, so my goal this FMW is to tie him to a chair and tape his eyelids open and make him game. GAME, DAMMIT!

=P