News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Maps in fantasy

Started by GreatWolf, April 25, 2001, 10:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valamir

On 2001-06-01 13:35, Mike Holmes wrote:

I'd still like to see a really complicated version of this, though, and maybe I'll come up with a more Simulationist version for my own use. This goes with my new idea of incorporating altered Narrativist tools to make better Simulationist games.

Mike Holmes

I've mentioned some more on this on the GO Alyria forum.  I have a strong desire to attempt the above myself.  Combined with an interactive plot mechanic it may be possible to use the method to entirely (or nearly so) eliminate the need for a GM at all.  Be happy to compare notes on it.

Blake Hutchins

My quick two cents.

Ron's distinction between writing stories and creating stories provides a watershed for me. When gaming, I create a general map to provide the players with a sense of context. A game map also adds to flavor, in my opinion. When writing otherworld fantasy, I create a crude, working map to remind me where locations are relative to each other, but I never rely on a map to tell my story or describe my world.

I like the idea of fill-in mapping. The variable point cost sounds interesting, though I'd probably use the Story Engine's approach and not bother with assigning special costs -- unless (in Story Engine terms) the player wanted to assign descriptors to a location.

Best,

Blake