News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Ill Fated]

Started by Teplin, November 18, 2008, 05:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teplin

I finished my first rpg.  It's a psychological horror story game.  I don't have any specific questions, I just want to see what people think of it, and if it's understandable as written.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df8mpz7p_0c2ktprgv

Ron Edwards

Hello,

The one thing I don't understand is whether I, as a player, actually make any choices of any kind. At least on my first reading, I see that I get to act things out as directed by various rules, but that's all. Is that what the point of play is for this game, to act out what's happening?

Best, Ron

Teplin

Quote from: Ron Edwards on November 20, 2008, 11:27:43 AM
Hello,

The one thing I don't understand is whether I, as a player, actually make any choices of any kind. At least on my first reading, I see that I get to act things out as directed by various rules, but that's all. Is that what the point of play is for this game, to act out what's happening?

Best, Ron

That's basically correct, except that I'd say the point of play is to create what's happening.  The mechanics tell you, generally, how things turn out, but now what happens to make them turn out that way.   A storytelling game in the most literal sense of the term, the goal is to create the story.  I thought that it might work because the powerlessness of the characters is a major theme, but I can definitely understand if it's a deal breaker for a lot of people.  The thing is, I'm not sure how I'd fix it without breaking the rest of the game.