News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Magic system suggestions

Started by Jaif, July 11, 2002, 09:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaif

Given the recent speed-of-light, er, "discussion", I've been thinking along the following lines...

Outside of the level of vagaries used, the game system increases difficulties and places limits in the following areas:

1) Number of targets,
2) Type of target,
3) Mass of target,
4) Distance,
5) Duration.

I propose:

6) Velocity

- 0) Speed of sound
- 1) Mach 5,
- 2) Something in-between.
- 3) Escape Velocity

For almost any purpose, speed of sound suffices, and the game system remains unchanged.  If you really want to do nasty things, make the spell more difficult. (A quick aside - unlimited vision distance becomes anywhere on the planet, not anywhere in the universe)

I also think that we can safely expand certain areas.  For example, if you want to effect more than MA targets, how about a +1 to spell dificulty for each one.  Also, if you need more than 2000kg, each extra 2k (or fraction) is +1 as well.

Any thoughts?  

-Jeff

P.S. One goal of this is to keep the game safely "earthbound".

Jake Norwood

In my games I generally hold lvl 3 Movement as instantaneous teleport-like movement with none of the speed-of-light or actual movement through space issues. That does it too.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant