News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Simultaneous Offense

Started by Lance D. Allen, July 12, 2002, 03:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance D. Allen

Hey all, a question just hit me...

First off, it was inspired by a memory of a florentine SCA fighter I once observed in action. It was in an encounter-style tournament, where the combatants were let loose in a cordoned-off area, and when two encountered one another, they fought.

I was following one of the fighters as a water-bearer when this guy, the florentine fighter, came around the bend. They acknowledged each other as he approached, then without even slowing he strode right up, struck at his opponent twice, and marched on leaving the opponent dead.

I was remembering this, and in my mind put TRoS maneuvers to what he did, then realized that I wasn't sure if TRoS rules would allow for it. What I believe he did was the equivalent of a double-strike, but with one of the strikes being more an offensive beat (as it was to the shield, and obviously not intended to connect) than a strike.

So my question is this: Is it possible to do an offensive beat or bind and strike in a single maneuver as part of a double strike?

For that matter, I've noted that the only proficiency that allows for two weapons of the same sort is Case of Rapiers.. Is there no way to fight florentine arming swords, or something similar?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jake Norwood

This is my take on "Florentine" fighting (a bogus term, but since we all know what it means, we'll use it)...it never really did well beyond the case of rapiers, and even that never did all that well. A "case of Arming swords" is just a clumsy-ass way to fight, hands down. I've seen guys that were "good" at it get walloped by beginners with a single sword. When the guy dropped one of his swords, then he was something. There are "records" of two Cut-and-thrusts being used at once, but I think it was all a matter of judicial duels.

However, there is no rule saying that you can't mix and match maneuvers...I do it all the time... If you want to pay the cost for all of them, and do a double-strike where one of the hits is a bind, then you can, I suppose, but from what you're describing that isn't what happened. He did one after the other in very quick succession...it was just a short round, and he dominated both exchanges.

I'd like to see more tinkering with it, though.

jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant