News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Fastlane: a sword&sorcery setting at RPG.net

Started by Spooky Fanboy, December 27, 2008, 05:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky Fanboy

Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!

Lxndr

Another adaptation of Fastlane that I simply adore. At first, before I read more than the first few sentences, I was about to point out Tin Gods, but this is different enough from that suggested setting (and as you point out later, would be an interesting overlap with that suggested setting).

Although keep in mind, the 36-chip limit is meant to be the average player, not so much the average person. The "average person" probably has 2 in every facet, and maybe a Bank of 4. Characters in Fastlane are supposed to be a little larger than life, at least at the start.

I especially like the idea of Divine-level styles - do they get eroded by humbling incrementally as well? My suggestion would be to say no: their divinity renders them immune to incremental humbling, and must be removed as an entire unit.

If I were making Alexei, I'd probably shave 1 point off each Facet and toss them into the Bank. A Bank that low is SCARY - but on the other hand, might also be fun to play. I'd be tempted to take that risk.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Spooky Fanboy

Hey, Alex!

While I have you here, what do you think about starting them out with a flat 50 chips to get the ball rolling? Or some other number, but they get some extra for each plot hook they give the croupier in the backstory, or something? I can't help but think, "These are supposed to be GODS!" so why not give them more? In the end, it's only more rope for them to hang themselves with.

Lxndr

As long as they all start with the same number of chips, I'm totally fine with that. A flat 50, or even a flat 100, is fine and dandy. Just keep in mind that the larger the bank, the less impact a Lucky Number is likely to have. Getting a windfall of 36 chips when you start out with 36 is awesome. Getting a windfall of 36 chips when you start out with 100 is... well, still awesome, just a smaller fraction. I'd go with 100.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Spooky Fanboy

Well, you'll be happy to note that both settings may be given a workout soon, as I finally got enough cash to get a roulette wheel and mat!

Hope this message finds you in good health and good spirits.