News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Night and Day] Dual wield, the bugger.

Started by opsneakie, January 20, 2009, 04:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opsneakie

So, I've got Night and Day just about finished, but there are still a couple of sticking points, and one of them is dual-wielding weapons. I'll run over my item rules, and see if there is a good way to do dual-wield from there.

So, items provide a flat bonus to attack or defense rolls (one only). A sword could give a +1 attack, a shield +1 defense, and so on. Big weapons (2-handed) give +2 to attack. Light armor gives a +1 defense, heavy armor a +2

Before, I had a system where weapons would have quality bonuses, like an excellent crossbow would be +1, but +2 vs, say, heavily armored targets. I'm starting to waffle on that now that I think on it some more. I think it complicates things too much, and I love this system for it's simplicity.

My question is, how do I make dual-wield a viable option, without making it overpowered? I've considered having it add one to attack and defense, or having it be a +2 the player could split as they wished. With the former, dual wield is equivalent to sword/shield in game terms, while with the latter option, 2-weapon is the most versatile weapon choice possible. I'm not really sure what to do with wielding two weapons; if it gives the character two attacks, it would be exceedingly powerful, while if it doesn't, it seems uninteresting as a choice. Thoughts?
- "aww, I wanted to explode..."

Gurnard

Why not make the second weapon just +1 they can add to attack or defense at their option? It means a character could be either the equivalent of a two-handed weapon or a single weapon and shield. Do you use skills in your system, because you could always add a skill cost.

Alternatively, allow the second weapon not to give a fixed modifier but instead wins ties on either attack or defence?

opsneakie

I like the idea of dual-wield giving a bonus either to defense or attack, it would give the wielder a versatile option for different combats.

The system does use skills, although I'm not sure what you mean about a skill cost. Do you mean they would have to have a skill at a certain level to dual-wield, or that they would effectively subtract from their skill level in exchange for dual-wield benefits (like a possible second attack)?

Callan S.

What do you mean, overpowered? Are you emulating the world as you have envisioned it? Or has the meme of balance somehow merged with imagined fantasy worlds, so balance actually is part of the fantasy?
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

David C

How does damage work? If you hit, you deal 1 wound? 
...but enjoying the scenery.

opsneakie

Hey Callan. By overpowered I mean stronger than all other weapon combinations. I don't want one weapon type to dominate, but I want a fairly even playing field for them.

David: damage is done by a difference in a d10 roll plus bonuses, i.e. 1d10 + 3 melee + 1 longsword vs. 1d10 + 2 dodge + 1 leather armor

so the difference could be quite high.

David C

Quote from: opsneakie on January 21, 2009, 03:13:09 AM
Hey Callan. By overpowered I mean stronger than all other weapon combinations. I don't want one weapon type to dominate, but I want a fairly even playing field for them.

David: damage is done by a difference in a d10 roll plus bonuses, i.e. 1d10 + 3 melee + 1 longsword vs. 1d10 + 2 dodge + 1 leather armor

so the difference could be quite high.

You could apply a damage penalty to the offhand weapon. I'm ambidextrous, and while I can play sports with either hand or write with either hand, my right arm is still stronger.
...but enjoying the scenery.

LandonSuffered

Hmm...how about setting it up like this:

Single weapon wield: +1 attack
Two-handed weapon wield: +2 attack
Two weapon wield: +2 attack OR +1 attack & +1 defense
Weapon and shield: +1 attack & +2 defense

That would seem to model what you're looking for: a person with a weapon is going to be better at attacking than an unarmed person. A person with a two-handed weapon (e.g. a pole axe) or a person berserking-out with two weapons get an additional attack bonus (at the cost of defense). A person fighting defensively with two weapons gets a slight defense bonus, though not as much if he were using a shield (an item specifically designed to block attacks).

People only wielding one weapon and no shield have the benefit of a free hand...to hold a torch, or a sack of loot, or that holy symbol that's keeping the vampire at bay...whatever.
Jonathan

opsneakie

There it is. I wasn't thinking about changing shields to make the dual-wield not incredibly good. Thanks for the thought, I think I'll playtest with that next.