News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Simple Rules Clarification

Started by Trevis Martin, April 19, 2009, 02:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevis Martin

Hi Seth,

I came into possession through trade of "Dirty Secrets", from GenCon 2007, and we gave it a try yesterday.  We didn't get super far into the game, and we want to continue, but I have a couple of questions.

In the dice, once you've revealed dice to reroll the others, the revealed dice cannot be rerolled later, right?  It doesn't explicitly say this in the rules, but that seems to be how it would work.

Also would you count something like Arson a theft?  Or does it not qualify as a crime since it isn't theft, blackmail or murder?

GreatWolf

Quote from: Trevis Martin on April 19, 2009, 02:14:01 AM
In the dice, once you've revealed dice to reroll the others, the revealed dice cannot be rerolled later, right?  It doesn't explicitly say this in the rules, but that seems to be how it would work.

You are correct!

Also would you count something like Arson a theft?  Or does it not qualify as a crime since it isn't theft, blackmail or murder?

Well, as written, it doesn't count as a Crime. That being said, I've shoehorned kidnapping into Theft (stealing a person), so I suppose that it wouldn't be that much of a hack to allow for arson to slot in there.

Remember that there can be plenty of crimes in the game. You can even keep them from being solved by refusing to narrate who did it and Appealing anyone who does. However, when you declare an action to be a Crime and write it on a card, you're giving up control over that chunk of the story in exchange for making the solving of that Crime a significant part of the story.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown