Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 07:14:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 154 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I need some help in condensing qualities -- some feedback please  (Read 1602 times)
vgunn

« on: February 16, 2009, 07:06:24 AM »

I need to condense down some of the qualities from Hither lands. But I do not want to go too rules light.

A problem I have is that all
Vulpinoid

Kitsune Trickster

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »

How does this compare to other races?

If every race has 20 defining features, is it a problem, or is it just a rich and deep system?

If Silvan elves have 20 defining features, most races have 5, and humans have none (because they are the baseline character type)....then I can see a problem.

Instant things I'd say is that it looks (from first glances) like you're doubling up on quite a few of these traits.

For example...How is "Attuned to the Forest" different to "Woodland Refuge"?

Similarly "Gladden Spirit" and "Swift to Heal" immediately strike me as the same thing, but relating to the Spirit and Body attributes respectively...

The ultimate abstraction would be to simply include "Silvan Elf" as a trait on the character sheet, and have players remember why this is a bonus in some situations while being a flaw in other situations, but you've specifically indicated that you don't want lite rules. So this isn't a good option.

My best advice would be to consider why you put all of these traits into the game for this group...is it to make them unique?...is it to balance them against other groups in the world?...is it just because "that's what elves do!!"...?

Just some ideas...

V

A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.
Paul Czege
Acts of Evil Playtesters

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »

This doesn't help you, but I wanted to comment that I find your terminology for the various qualities very evocative. I want to play a character with qualities like Ghosts Hold No Terror, Lofty with Pride, and Woven Words.

Paul

My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans
Darcy Burgess

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »

Hey vgunn,

Based on the very last line in your opening post, I imagine that the solution has kind of presented itself; the list you presented (may pared down a touch, as Vulpinoid suggested) becomes the menu.  Characters are built from a subset of the available options, but not all of them.

After all, not *every* Sylvan elf is fleet of foot, or laughs in the face of ghosts...

I second Paul's appraisal of your nomenclature.  What other races are you planning on using?

Cheers,
Darcy

Black Cadillacs - Your soapbox about War.  Use it.
vgunn

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »

vgunn

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »

vgunn

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 07:28:02 PM »

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: