News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Almost ready for playtesting

Started by thirdkingdom, February 22, 2009, 06:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirdkingdom

I'm newish to this board and just wanted to introduce the game I am currently working on. The Third Kingdom is an fantasy role-playing game that has been in the works for the past two years. As of now I have about 270 pages (before formatting for printing -- it will shrink in size) of the Player's Handbook written and hope to be finished by the middle of March.
The most recent update of the Player's Handbook can be downloaded at http://thirdkingdomgame.com. Like the Player's Handbook, the website is not complete. If anyone has some spare time (hah!) I would love some constructive criticism of what I have so far. Keep in mind that it is incomplete chapterwise as well as a whole and I still need to edit and reconcile changes, and that it is also a playtest version -- I'm sure there are still kinks to work out.
Before I go any further I must offer the disclaimer that this is not a "rules-lite" game.  It also may be more of a traditional RPG than readers of this board are used to.
The following are some features of the mechanics I think work well:
1) Each character is defined by eight Primary Attributes. These Attributes define the core of the character and also serve as the basis for any conflict resolution that takes place in the game. As characters gain experience they are able to increase Attribute scores; in fact, level advancement is based in part upon having a certain Attribute total.
2) The Attribute Rank determines the die roll used in an active Challenge. The system uses only d10s. Average characters have a Rank die of d10. Less than average scores used d5, above average scores use d10 + d5 or better.
3) Character creation involves a point-buy system and there are no classes. Instead, there are over 100 skills and about the same number of Talents (special abilities/qualities the character can purchase).
4) Conflicts are resolved with Challenges. An attempt to hit a target would look as follows: Warfare + Rank Die + Character level + Weapon Proficiency skill Rank.
5) The magic system allows characters to cast spells they know and have practiced or to spontaneously create spells to meet certain situations (Challenge dependent for success).

There's more but I have other things to do right now.

Thanks,

Todd
e-mail me at thirdkingdom@yahoo.com
http://thirdkingdomgame@yahoo.com

SacredSmoke

Hi! I checked out your site and skimmed your handbook. Your game sounds great! Reminds me of my d20 D&D days. :)

Let me know if you need a beta tester. I'd be more than happy to help.

All things,

Sacred

thirdkingdom

Quote from: SacredSmoke on February 24, 2009, 04:00:13 AM
Hi! I checked out your site and skimmed your handbook. Your game sounds great! Reminds me of my d20 D&D days. :)

Let me know if you need a beta tester. I'd be more than happy to help.

All things,

Sacred

Sacred,
     Thanks for the comments.  I'll be sure to keep you in mind one the alpha playtesting is done.  Just out of curiosity, what about it reminds you of d20 D&D?  Most of the comparisons that have been drawn so far have been between it and GURPS.

Todd

thirdkingdom

Just wanted to provide an update.  The Third Kingdom Player's Handbook is done and ready for play.  The .pdf can be found at www.thirdkingdomgame.com.  I am also making free print copies available to the first 30 people interested in playtesting.

Todd