News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

ANNALISE & Character Death

Started by AXUM, February 21, 2009, 09:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AXUM

Hi:

I just played our first session of Annalise (we had some cool moments) & have some questions about it:

1.Can a Consequence be "your character dies?"  If this is a legal Consequence, what happens to the player/character if the Consequence passes then, would s/he be out of the game or still be able to play?  Help!

2.During the Claims-using phase of Moments (when we go round the table asking if anyone's interested in using coins from Claims to modify/add to the result), is it all right for the Scene Guide to use a claim for a new Achievement, or is s/he strictly obligated to ask only for Consequences?

Thanks
Ax

Nathan P.

Hi! Thanks so much for playing, I'm glad you're playing and having a good time!

1. Mechanically, no, your character dying does not take you out of the game. Depending on the fiction, maybe the rest of that players scenes will be in flashback, or the player will ask for scenes that detail the influence of his dead character on whats going on, or the player will say that they come back as a ghost. Also, sure, the character can suffer death as a Consequence of one Moment, and then the player can take a Moment with an Achievement about coming back to to life, or something like that. When this comes up in my games, we usually ask the player if they're okay with a Consequence that could potentially render the character unplayable to them, typically something to do with death or suffering a really dire injury or something like that. We tend to respect requests to change the Consequence to something that doesn't cross over that line, if it comes up.

2. Yes, the Scene Guide can add both Achievements and Consequences.

Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

AXUM

Quote from: Nathan P. on February 22, 2009, 05:14:14 PM
Also, sure, the character can suffer death as a Consequence of one Moment, and then the player can take a Moment with an Achievement about coming back to to life, or something like that.

Hello again & thanks for helping:

Now, I'm confused: would'nt the Achievement "resurrection" (or something in those terms) be at odds with the "you're dead" Consequence?  Oh, I see - the player has to wait & seize a new moment to do this, right?

AX'

Nathan P.

Correct, seize a new Moment and make your first Achievement concern coming back. You can have multiple Moments in a scene, so there's no issue having it straight on the heels of the Moment that kills the character. Or play out a scene or two in flashback (or whatever), and then put that Achievement down (which would actually be pretty cool, I think).
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters